H E L P - I'm locked out of my Expy !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soldatlamour

Reaction score
Stupidly, I left my keys in my truck last night. The truck wasn't running, but left the ignition switch in the "ON" position. This must have drained the battery, because when I finally "found my keys" (after looking for them for over an hour) this morning, I couldn't open the door using my code.

So - since my only set of keys is laughing at me from the ignition switch and I cannot use my code to unlock the door, is there any way of opening the door?

If I can get under the hood I can charge the battery - any way to pop the hood?

Thanks to all - mps

OP
OP
S

soldatlamour

Reaction score
Locked Out - I found a Solution

I crawled under the truck, and connected jumper cables to:
Positive lead on Starter
Ground to Chasis

Other end of jumper cables connected to the battery of my truck.

This gave sufficient energy that my code unlocked the door. Battery was sufficiently drained that while I was there I just moved the cables from the starter to the battery and let it sit for a while. The Expy started.

Hope this helps future absent minded Expy owners !

mps

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to "break into" the engine bay, at least on 2nd gen expys. My hood latch froze this winter and I was able to push it open by poking through the grille with a metal rod (about the same diameter as a pencil).
I did that on two separate days and worked both times once I found the sweet spot. Took me about 3 minutes.

Last edited:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
defiantly would not have thought about that... I would have found a metal coat hanger and opened the door that way... or AAA...lol but have to remember that if I ever need it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69