Handling Difference Between Expedition and Expedition EL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdcook89

Reaction score
So, I tried searching for this but didn't find hardly anything! I am just curious if anyone has had the chance to drive the regular and the EL and compare the handling between the two. Looking at buying a 2013/2014 Expy. I see a few EL models for sale and while we don't need the extra cargo room, it might come in handy - my main concern is if my wife will have added difficulty parking it. She drove a regular Expy and had no issues driving and parking it. Anyone know if a slightly longer EL handles much differently? What's the gas mileage difference? Thanks in advance!
-Dan

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have driven both many times and that extra 14" does indeed make for a significant handling difference. Coming from a Mercury Mountaineer, I was able to drive an Expedition much the same in terms of both handling and parking. The EL requires me to slow down a bit more around curves and make a much more conscious parking effort. That said, the rear view camera (which I thought I would never use) helps immensely in terms of knowing where the tail end of the beast is at when moving in reverse. On the plus side, the ride quality is noticeably better than the standard length. Perhaps I just notice it more because I spend a lot of time on state/federal park lands where the roads go unmaintained for years, but the EL swallows the potholes much better. The EL gets about 2 mpg less than the standard length. I was getting about 16.5 mpg in the standard and I get 14.3-14.4 in the EL, which jumps to 15.1-15.3 if I do a lot of straight driving (highway or rural route).

OP
OP
R

rdcook89

Reaction score
I have driven both many times and that extra 14" does indeed make for a significant handling difference. Coming from a Mercury Mountaineer, I was able to drive an Expedition much the same in terms of both handling and parking. The EL requires me to slow down a bit more around curves and make a much more conscious parking effort. That said, the rear view camera (which I thought I would never use) helps immensely in terms of knowing where the tail end of the beast is at when moving in reverse. On the plus side, the ride quality is noticeably better than the standard length. Perhaps I just notice it more because I spend a lot of time on state/federal park lands where the roads go unmaintained for years, but the EL swallows the potholes much better. The EL gets about 2 mpg less than the standard length. I was getting about 16.5 mpg in the standard and I get 14.3-14.4 in the EL, which jumps to 15.1-15.3 if I do a lot of straight driving (highway or rural route).

That was very helpful information - glad that there are some other upsides to the EL beside just the increased cargo space!

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the regular expedition is much easier to park, mainly because its shorter then some large sedans like the regular length lincoln towncars etc.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This might not be a big deal to some, but if you plan to go off road then I would advise a standard length vs an EL. Its not as long, and the approach and departure angles are better than on the EL. Especially the departure angle- the EL has a more hanging off the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

emtmark

Reaction score
While our EL is a pavement queen we do use the 4wd in the snow quite a bit. We avg 14-15 in town and 16-18(18 on going down to Los Angeles not back) on the freeways. Cruise is set spot on 70mph. Loaded or unloaded diddnt seem to matter with or without the xcargo roof box either for that matter.

kettle

Reaction score
Not much

Our first Expedition was the 2008 Eddie Bauer edition (standard length). We drove that for about 13 years or so. Then we had our fourth child and decided that we needed more space behind the third row for road trips so we upgraded to a 2011 Expedition EL XLT. We loved it and to tell the truth we didn't notice much of a difference in drivability. The backup camera does help quite a bit though.

Unfortunately about a month ago my wife was rear ended in the Expedition and our beloved EL was totaled. So now we are buying a brand new 2015 EL Limited to replace the one that was lost. We tried test driving the competition but nothing else felt right to us.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our first Expedition was the 2008 Eddie Bauer edition (standard length). We drove that for about 13 years or so. Then we had our fourth child and decided that we needed more space behind the third row for road trips so we upgraded to a 2011 Expedition EL XLT. We loved it and to tell the truth we didn't notice much of a difference in drivability. The backup camera does help quite a bit though.

Unfortunately about a month ago my wife was rear ended in the Expedition and our beloved EL was totaled. So now we are buying a brand new 2015 EL Limited to replace the one that was lost. We tried test driving the competition but nothing else felt right to us.
Is it 2021 already? [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk