Hands Free Blue Cruise Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Auer

Reaction score
Got my Expedition Platinum back yesterday. Dealer had to download a software update from Ford. Now it works.
Can you give me any additional information? My dealer is getting the runaround by Ford. I have a trip coming up on Saturday. I was hoping to have the hands free function working before then. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
E

eamatherne

Reaction score
This what my service tech wrote me.
"I have just reviewed my response from Ford Technical assistance. They recommend performing another update on the gateway module."
After the GATEWAY MODULE UPDATE IT WORKS FINE.

John Auer

Reaction score
After a couple weeks of research, we finally found out that all Ford had to do was an over the air update of my maps subscription. It works great!

OP
OP
E

eamatherne

Reaction score
Isn't it crazy that it takes all that time to figure out that it is a simple fix? That's what was done to my vehicle as well through an update at the dealership!

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Software issues seem to challenge any auto mechanic that has not been exposed to developing software in his career. If it takes something other than a wrench to fix it, it is difficult to figure out. I spent my entire working life writing software, both real time process control and financial/inventory/order processing/etc.

Even with that background, it was difficult for me to determine what was wrong when a 10 meter satellite dish was pointing in the wrong direction - and that is simple compared with what goes on in cars…

The other issue - we as a whole have not yet figured out how to organize a list of issues and fixes into a structure that allows someone to look up the problem and read the solution. The maps update release note may have a note that it fixes the specific problem that this user was seeing, but unless you are reading that release note you would never see it. To be really useful, an issues list would exist for the Expedition that includes all of these types of problems and the associated fixes.

That is exactly why this forum and the search functions are valuable. Unfortunately it does not help the first person with any specific problem (that may have already been solved by Ford!) but eventually that note finds its way here.

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this not something that can be updated by the driver/user? I just had my '22 Platinum delivered and it says the BlueCruise expired 10/12/22 which was before the dealership even got it!

Danm355

Reaction score
Kinda figured it out. In settings go to About SYNC. The last line in mine reads “Hands-Free Driving Mode available through 10-09-22.” We picked up the new vehicle on 09-30-22. I’ll be calling Ford Monday to alert the dealer as to how to do the software fix.
I checked my settings and it said my Blue Cruise expired 10/9/2073. I don't know if that's the problem.