Hands free lift gate closing by itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex Taylor

Reaction score
Very helpful thread, have had mine for less than a month now and was trying to get the hands free option to work open but after about 10 minutes of kicking the rear bumper in my driveway the neighbors began standing outside pointing & videoing me on their phones, (some were placing bets I swear) so I just smiled sheepishly, waved and went back inside, then searched on this thread. :)

I think we all can agree it's those small victories in life giving us that sense of quiet satisfaction that really matter in the end. :D

Thanks!

Alex

Dspud2006

Reaction score
Thousands of Expedition owners out there, I don't understand how this function hasn't been disabled or recalled by Ford. I purchased mine new on Monday. I just spent an hour in the garage trying to get this to work. i probably kicked straight in and out in every location possible on the rear bumper, and MAYBE got it to open and close 2% of the time. Then after going outside of my garage to search google for an answer and coming back inside, I walk around the rear of the car and the liftgate starts lowering on my head. Funny, yes, but Ford has to see this as a major safety issue as well. I just wonder if this is an isolated problem of if every Expedition owner has this problem. I can't imagine people buying a 70k dollar vehicle and just being ok that a simple feature like this doesn't work from day 1.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even after a trip to the service department to have the "fix" supposedly done, ours still randomly closes on us. Worst times are when inserting/removing receiver ball mount or when we back it into the garage to unload groceries etc. Our garage has raised walkways on three sides and just walking on the higher walkway behind the open lift gate invariably will cause it to close, usually on whoever has the fob in his/her pocket. I suppose it might not if one leaves the fob in the house, but really, you shouldn't have to.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And I love how when you really need to open it hands free, it doesn't work! So you have to put what ever heavy large object you're holding down to open it. Great feature...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone asked their dealership if there's a way to programmatically disable this? I'm likely going to disconnect my sensors but I don't like doing that, seems there has to be a way to disable the feature programmatically.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone asked their dealership if there's a way to programmatically disable this? I'm likely going to disconnect my sensors but I don't like doing that, seems there has to be a way to disable the feature programmatically.
The last time I used ForScan I believe I saw a enable/disable setting for the lift gate (human readable non-HEX). Got some time go play with ForScan on yours.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually did it last night, with the current version of Forscan, you can disable the handsfree liftgate via the configuration wizards. So glad I did that. Went ahead and changed the APIM splash screen while I was in there. Disabling the liftgate via Forscan feels so much better to me then having disconnected wires hanging out in the bumper.

lefty hack

Reaction score
I had problems kicking the “right” way when I got the 18 expy. After I read the instructions and practiced with no one watching[emoji3] it works great .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just give it time. You'll eventually have it close on you while unloading groceries, while your kids sit on the bumper, or maybe it will open when you walk by the car while it's in your garage with the garage door closed. Too many issues, I disabled mine.

It's one of the dumbest systems on the car. For one, it will open even if the lift glass is open. Second, I don't see why the stupid system doesn't use the parking sensors to also determine if there's a stationary object behind the car, and prevent it from opening. I also don't think it should close via handsfree if it wasn't opened that way to begin with.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just give it time. You'll eventually have it close on you while unloading groceries, while your kids sit on the bumper, or maybe it will open when you walk by the car while it's in your garage with the garage door closed. Too many issues, I disabled mine.

It's one of the dumbest systems on the car. For one, it will open even if the lift glass is open. Second, I don't see why the stupid system doesn't use the parking sensors to also determine if there's a stationary object behind the car, and prevent it from opening. I also don't think it should close via handsfree if it wasn't opened that way to begin with.

Or disable it when the 7-pin plug is connected to the vehicle. Mine opens accidentally al the time when setting up or tearing down my camper. The 7-pin is the last thing I disconnect and the first thing I connect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk