Hands free lift gate closing by itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lefty hack

Reaction score
Just give it time. You'll eventually have it close on you while unloading groceries, while your kids sit on the bumper, or maybe it will open when you walk by the car while it's in your garage with the garage door closed. Too many issues, I disabled mine.

It's one of the dumbest systems on the car. For one, it will open even if the lift glass is open. Second, I don't see why the stupid system doesn't use the parking sensors to also determine if there's a stationary object behind the car, and prevent it from opening. I also don't think it should close via handsfree if it wasn't opened that way to begin with.

I’ve found that if I put the keys in the car(seems obvious I guess) and not in my pocket the lift stops opening as closing while I’m loading and unloading stuff... long road trip while packing, unpacking and repacking made me want to drive into the river dealing with the inadvertent lift gate. Not perfect but it doesn’t accidentally open and close while working g around the gate anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Makes sense, for a myriad of reasons, I've made it a habit to only leave my fobs in my pockets. Not the least of which the stupid things are $500 to get replaced/programmed sometimes. But CO is having issues with lots of stolen vehicles. Mine was pilfered in the first month of ownership as it sat in my driveway waiting to get washed (had to run in to finish a quick conference call). Luckily my keys weren't in it, but it was unlocked.

All good, at this point I just like knowing mine is disabled.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK so i’ve had my share of this POS door opening & closing on me enough, but this has driven me off the cliff .

apparently, while the keys were hanging safely in the mud room all night, somehow the tailgate opened itself. it was certainly closed when i took the trash out as i would have whacked my head on the damned thing.

well wouldn’t you know it that we had a sleet storm all night? on a NE angle?

sweet.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can anyone please walk me through step by step to disable the tailgate in settings? I can’t find it.

mhExped

Reaction score
Can anyone please walk me through step by step to disable the tailgate in settings? I can’t find it.
You can disable the power liftgate through settings, but that completely disables the power, so you have to pull it open and push it closed.

To do that you can find the setting here (search within for liftgate): https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...rket=usa&div=f&vCode=&vFilteringEnabled=False

You cannot, however, disable only the hands-free feature through settings and retain the power assist of the tailgate.

gf0625

Reaction score
I actually did it last night, with the current version of Forscan, you can disable the handsfree liftgate via the configuration wizards. So glad I did that. Went ahead and changed the APIM splash screen while I was in there. Disabling the liftgate via Forscan feels so much better to me then having disconnected wires hanging out in the bumper.
I'm looking to disable the hands free tailgate function on my 2020 Expedition Platinum in Forscan. I've searched this Forum and Forscan Forum and you are the only one I've found to do this in Forscan. I have been hit by the gate numerous times by simply walking by the rear of the vehicle. I know this is an old post but do you have a spreadsheet or can you please tell me the correct address and changes you made in Forscan to accomplish this? I believe it is in Module 775 which only contains 5 addresses according to my As-Builts.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking to disable the hands free tailgate function on my 2020 Expedition Platinum in Forscan. I've searched this Forum and Forscan Forum and you are the only one I've found to do this in Forscan. I have been hit by the gate numerous times by simply walking by the rear of the vehicle. I know this is an old post but do you have a spreadsheet or can you please tell me the correct address and changes you made in Forscan to accomplish this? I believe it is in Module 775 which only contains 5 addresses according to my As-Builts.
I didn't want to lose the power liftgate feature, but was tired of it closing on me and opening when I didn't want it to. So, I used Forscan to disable it.
Start FORScan go to bdyCM Module Configuration (not AsBuilt), look for "Hands Free Liftgate", double click on it and select Disable and save it.
Then try opening it hands free. If your mod was successful, it is disabled and won't open, unless you revert back to the factory setting. Your open and close liftgate buttons still work as expected.

gf0625

Reaction score
Thank you. I can't wait to try this. I too am tired of having the liftgate close on me. I'm having a problem connecting to my OBD adapter but will try once I correct it. Thanks again.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't want to lose the power liftgate feature, but was tired of it closing on me and opening when I didn't want it to. So, I used Forscan to disable it.
Start FORScan go to bdyCM Module Configuration (not AsBuilt), look for "Hands Free Liftgate", double click on it and select Disable and save it.
Then try opening it hands free. If your mod was successful, it is disabled and won't open, unless you revert back to the factory setting. Your open and close liftgate buttons still work as expected.
What he said!