Has anyone had a smooth shifting 10 speed? Do they all do the occasional clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanpe

Reaction score
I have a '21 Limited bought new with 55K on the clock and 26K of that towing a 6000# travel trailer. I have experienced clunking twice since purchased, both times during a downshift (don't know the gear) slowing from a highway speed. My biggest complaint is when it sits outside below 30 degrees, I have experienced a neutral-out during the first 3 min of operation. Not every time but it's happens occasionally. Nerve racking!

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2019 max platinum has rough shifts sometimes in very cold weather, particularly when coasting to a stop. It's never a problem when it's all warmed up after driving for a few minutes. Yesterday in -15 temps, it got stuck in 4th gear for a few minutes until I shut it off and back on again. So I hope this doesn't mean the beginning of the end!

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '21 Limited bought new with 55K on the clock and 26K of that towing a 6000# travel trailer. I have experienced clunking twice since purchased, both times during a downshift (don't know the gear) slowing from a highway speed. My biggest complaint is when it sits outside below 30 degrees, I have experienced a neutral-out during the first 3 min of operation. Not every time but it's happens occasionally. Nerve racking
I did a little research:

So basically, warm up the engine until the gauge shows good. This will ensure the tranny fluid got warmed up. Then you can drive safely without possibly damaging the transmission.

Last edited:

4CHN8

Reaction score
2020 Plat Max here. Thumped on occasional shifts between 4/5 and 8/9, started around 20k miles. Usually light throttle, lower speeds. Mentioned to the dealer over the course of a few oil changes, had a two week vacation that I scheduled to leave it with them for. It has been excellent since. I can find the paperwork and see exactly what they did to fix it.

I may be cautious, but there was no way I would keep one of these outside of the warranty. ESP was just not that expensive.

jera0005

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition, and definitely experienced the hard upshifting and downshifting in the 3-4-5 gears at low speeds and light throttle. Speeds around 15-30 mph. It happened often when driving through neighborhoods. I took it in under warranty and they reprogrammed it according to TSB 22-2139 (4/21/22). There probably is a newer TSB now. The reprogramming worked, I was shocked! They didn't have to do any physical repairs to the transmission. It's been shifting smoothly for two years now.

tommyboy

Reaction score
yea, I'm not happy with the clunking I experience. I try to not accelerate hard, but it still occasionally happens. I dont remember it for my 2017 Limited, but for my 2020 Limited Max Stealth, its definitely there.

Last edited:

mparks

Reaction score
My 2019 XLT was bad. It had a really hard downshift and switching into reverse took in around 6700 miles. And they fixed it. Now has 57k and noticed it shifting really hard between 20-40 mph and sometimes would accelerate and go nowhere. Took it in under powertrain (thank God) and had over $4k of work done. There was a tsb 23-2350 I think and they couldn’t get it fixed with the resets. I will have to look at my paperwork and see exactly what they did but I know it was replacing clutch and something else. It has been doing great since . But the service guy said he had 10 expeditions waiting to have transmission work done. Hello maybe Ford should realize something is up. Guess it is the 10-speed they changed too.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Expy with 92,000 miles will hesitate and rough shift in the 2-4 gears right after pulling out of my driveway. The shift sequence is typically normal after the first up shift.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
I try to not accelerate hard, but it still occasionally happens.
For me, it never happens when accelerating moderately to aggressively. Only when lightly on the gas, but rpms are too low to get anywhere, so it had to clunk a downshift.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205