Have a misfire in cyl. 8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sabedra211

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just last year i changed my spark plugs in my 2002 ford expedition 5.4L and i had a really bad misfire yesterday Engine light was flashing and then stayed light. Scanned it and i had a misfire in cylinder 8. I figured it was the coil so i went out and baught a coil removed the coil and tried fitting my sparkplug socket and it didnt go in all the way, Looked in the cylinder hole and it looks like theres a bolt jammed in there! i tried a magnet and various sockets to get it but its stuck in there and i dont think i have the right socket size for it. IDK how it got in there. The truck was running fine untll yesterday. In which yesterday i had it in the shop for the first time ever since i owned it to change the swaybar endlinks. I dont want to point fingers but this is really wierd. So i am not sure how do i go about getting this bolt out any thoughts? heres an image thanks for any help!
4-4DF9-4AE2-B056-8CF4A05A72E4-723-0000007DC903A21A.jpg

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe a long needle nose? They also make flexible claws that may work. Find them at auto parts stores I think. No idea what they are actually called though. I would say it is most likely it was sitting near the boot and then as you pulled the boot off the plug it fell in. I dont think you would ever get the COP to sit down in there with something that big blocking the path... However that would be a prime way for the wires to short to the block, causing your misfire.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Maybe a long needle nose? They also make flexible claws that may work. Find them at auto parts stores I think. No idea what they are actually called though. I would say it is most likely it was sitting near the boot and then as you pulled the boot off the plug it fell in. I dont think you would ever get the COP to sit down in there with something that big blocking the path... However that would be a prime way for the wires to short to the block, causing your misfire.

x2

It looks like it may be a cop bolt to me?!

Anyways here is a link to the flex grab tool he was referring too.

Amazon.com: OEM 25291 Four Claw Pick Up Tool: Automotive

These work great if the item is loose but may not always work if the item is wedged in tightly. You may try and work it loose with screwdriver if possible.

You can also try extended reach needle nose pliers

Good luck!!

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
You can also try coat hanger or other heavy gauge steel wire. Bend small hook on it then bend the hook 90 degrees to the coat hanger. Hope this makes sense... Now you have a homemade grab/fish tool..

Note: This will not work with plastic or wood coat hangers!! :)

Last edited:

chipete

Reaction score
If the bolt is loose try taping a smaller hose to a vac and suck it out.also the hose need to be smaller than the plug hole as well

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
vacuum cleaner w/ a small hose might work too, or a section of small hose w/ grease.
other ideas above are also valid.

OP
OP
S

sabedra211

Reaction score
Well finally got it out I took a long screw driver and hit the end of it with a hammer and it straightened the bolt up and I was able to fit a 10mm socket and that got it loose and extracted it with a magnet. Pulled the plug out and the spark plug looked rusty just changed them out not to long ago maybe 6000 miles ago. I wonder if that bolt was in there the whole time and barely started acting up. Well swapped the plug and coil and it drives fine now. I should get one of those claws for future problems lol. Thanks guys.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Congrats! :)

If sparkplug looked rusty water or moisture is getting in the plug well and may be causing your issues.

Of course if there was a bolt in there that would cause issues but can't see how the boot and coil would have fit over it as mentioned.