Haven't seen this talked about.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tamara Hock

Reaction score
About 6 months ago I purchased a 2005 Expedition from the original owner. Only had 75k. Lived entire life in SoCal. Great deal.

Occasionally a strange thing happens. When I go to start the vehicle the gears grind and it makes people nearby jump in terror. The sound is like when you have started your car, forget you started the car and try to start it again.

Last week I took the Expedition on a 2500 mile road trip, towing a 4k lb travel trailer. It did great. EXCEPT- after towing for a few hours and stopping for gas, the grinding gear thing happens when I attempt to start the car. I found a "go around" by placing the car in NEUTRAL when starting.

The original owner says this has happened since the car was new and Ford could not figure out the cause. Because, of course it can never be duplicated at the shop.
Any ideas? I'd like to make it stop.
I had the transmission flushed last week.
Thank you.

Plati

Reaction score
My 2014 5.4L does something similar I've always wondered about. It doesn't sound as severe as what you describe. For a while I thought it was the remote start malfunctioning ... but then I noticed it also does it with a normal key start.

I start the engine (remote or key) ... maybe 1 or 2 seconds later after its running I hear a quick "grinding" exactly as you describe like you turned the key to start again by mistake. Does it maybe once every 20 starts , not sure of the number.

Always wondered what it is ... never heard anyone ever mention this ... not sure if I should take it to shop or what. It seems to be able to live through it.

Not like that video stamp posted, the video grinds on start - not 2 seconds later

Last edited:

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn’t hear the sound or the video cause I’m chilling drinking beers but by you all description I think it is going to be worn out teeth on a spot on the flywheel.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try this one - sound is near the end.

If that is the sound, the starter should be removed so the flex plate teeth and starter drive teeth can be inspected for damage.