Headers for 2004 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree guys. I put the shorty headers on my 3V 5.4 with the complete magna flow system and notice a nice take off and aggressive sound. HEADERS alone I feel wont give you that much gains just minimal. I feel if your just going to do the headers you need to help the headers out with the complete exhaust system.
Were u working overseas as a contractor?

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL! No.. you mean with KBR or Black water? No. I served in the US Navy 6 yrs Active and going on 9 yrs in the Navy Reserve Component. why you ask?

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to disagree guys. I put the shorty headers on my 3V 5.4 with the complete magna flow system and notice a nice take off and aggressive sound. HEADERS alone I feel wont give you that much gains just minimal. I feel if your just going to do the headers you need to help the headers out with the complete exhaust system.

Which header did you use? So far, I found only one for the 3valve,
a stainless Gibson. It was over $700, I think.
Do you use the factory Y pipe in front of the MagnaFlow system?
If they make a better flowing Y pipe that bolts up like the shorties,
that's even better.
Like you said, all those things working in concert will give you
an actual gain.
Stephen

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the ceramic coated Gibson headers... they were like 640.00 on autoanything.com

on the magnaflow system I got the entire catalytic converter system. the only part I used that was factory was the ball coupling before the stock exhaust to get it welded on the tip of the NEW magna flow muffler in order for the complete system to be bolt on. I should have pics on my exhaust album.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the ceramic coated Gibson headers... they were like 640.00 on autoanything.com
On the magnaflow system I got the entire catalytic converter system. I should have pics on my exhaust album.

Thanks. I checked your album. I can see that it comes with a new Y pipe. The whole system clearly must cost way more than the cat back Magnaflow systems that I saw,
starting at around 5 or 6 hundred. Access to remove exhaust manifolds on my 1rst gen 2 valve was easy. I could see that replacing them with the shorty headers on
my '05 3 valve will be anything but. A project for the summer.
Stephen

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OOHH yeah! installing the header on the driver side is a piece of cake but the passenger side the compressor needed to come out. took about 6 hours just on the passenger side alone. then the cats are about another 2 hours the welding is the hardest thing. I feel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr