Reman’d 5.4L 2v installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m installing a reman’d 5.4 2v in my 2003 EB. I’ll capture the process in this thread for those that may be interested. I went with an AER engine retailed through Power Source. AER remanufactures engines for Ford dealers, so I figured it was a solid choice.

Quick question: I’ll be going back together with JBA shorty headers model 1679-S, and I’d like to install the headers while it’s on the stand before dropping the engine back in. Should I expect any fitment issues? I’d hate to have to do the headers after the fact. If anyone has any ideas or experience with those headers, it would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4364.jpeg

IMG_4365.jpeg

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't get much response on this forum regarding the headers, you might try some of the Facebook pages for Expeditions and F150s. Seems to be more interest about modifications like that on these pages. I have seen posts on one of these from a guy saying he has done alot of 5.4 swaps and always does them with the exh manifolds still attached, for what that is worth. Try these if you are interested:
5.4 Ford Nation
Ford Expedition Troubleshooting and Repairs
2004-2008 F150 11th Gen
Ford Modular 2v/3v/4v Mods, Upgrades, and Maintenance

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Vince, and fair point. For the most part, the JBA headers will be the only significant mod to the otherwise stock 5.4 swap.

Again, happy to document this engine swap for those interested on the forum.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After spending a few days with the engine swap, got it out at least. Ran into the typical issues pulling out a 20 year old engine. Broken fasteners, stripped exhaust manifold-to-exhaust nut, and more deteriorated parts, hoses identified once the engine was out. I’m trying to go back together with all Motorcraft parts, as they seem the most reliable bet with all of the other cheap junk on the market. Most proving to be long-lead items, but can be found. By no means is this a tutorial, but here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure. IMG_4474.jpeg
IMG_4472.jpeg
IMG_4478.jpeg
IMG_4480.jpegIMG_8197.jpeg

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got all the items moved over from the old engine to the re-man’d long block. Should have it wrapped up in the next week or so. Really looking forward to 1) no oil leaks, and 2) a truck that’s reliable and starts every time I turn the key. The bitter-sweet part of this deal is once this project is complete, off to the airport she goes; hence Airport Car II.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little short on pics for now, but engine install complete. She started right up and all is well. It was a great opportunity to replace with OEM all of the vacuum lines associated with the engine too. Went back together with new PS pump and motor mounts as well.

Interesting little find: I serviced the trans while I was at it, dropped the pan and replaced the filter. Found the tell-tale little plastic plug in the trans pan. So this was the first time that trans pan (ergo filter change) has been dropped in 20 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett