Reman’d 5.4L 2v installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRed2004

Reaction score
@kep5niner, fantastic work on what you were able to accomplish,:happy107:!

I would like to do something like this in the future as well where I can put on some better exhaust manifolds and other engine parts (metal timing chain guides, cast iron tensioners, etc.).

What did you use to connect the engine hoist to the block? I’ve seen brackets you can buy that mount up on the block. I’ve also wondered if you could use the lift plate that is common for 4.6L on the 5.4L, never found a definitive answer on that.

Did you use a site like FordPartsGiant to get the various vacuum hoses?

How difficult was it to remove the bolts connecting the transmission to the block? Those top bolts aren’t exactly giving you a lot of clearance/room under the vehicle.

And your statement about the 4R70W having its first job after 20 years could be viewed as a testament to the durability of these transmissions. I think that for all the “issues” people have claimed to have with the modular motors (all valve counts) and 4R70Ws, these things were some of the best products Ford has produced. If they are taken care of they seem to be near indestructible.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@kep5niner, fantastic work on what you were able to accomplish,:happy107:!

I would like to do something like this in the future as well where I can put on some better exhaust manifolds and other engine parts (metal timing chain guides, cast iron tensioners, etc.).

What did you use to connect the engine hoist to the block? I’ve seen brackets you can buy that mount up on the block. I’ve also wondered if you could use the lift plate that is common for 4.6L on the 5.4L, never found a definitive answer on that.

Did you use a site like FordPartsGiant to get the various vacuum hoses?

How difficult was it to remove the bolts connecting the transmission to the block? Those top bolts aren’t exactly giving you a lot of clearance/room under the vehicle.

And your statement about the 4R70W having its first job after 20 years could be viewed as a testament to the durability of these transmissions. I think that for all the “issues” people have claimed to have with the modular motors (all valve counts) and 4R70Ws, these things were some of the best products Ford has produced. If they are taken care of they seem to be near indestructible.
Thank you sir! For the engine hoist, I just used a HF leveler, and used M10x1.5 x 50mm bolts. For the back of the block, I came in through the forward side of the top 2 bolt holes for the bell housing. Up front, there are 3 threaded holes in the block that serve no other purpose than for attaching a leveler. I did have to run a tap through those threads, even on the new engine, as again, the holes aren’t used for anything else.

For upgrades to the engine, AER was the remanufacturer I went with - they’re the same company that supplies long-blocks for all Ford dealerships. They were very easy to work with and even waived the core charge if I got it back to them within 30 days. The long-block 5.4 2v came with heads, timing chains and cover installed. I’ve timed a 3v before, so that was fun I’m glad I missed. AER claims to address all of the known deficiencies in the 2v (timing chain guides, tensioners, oil pump, etc.). The only upgrade I did to the motor was JBA shorty headers. They were cheaper than OEM, and I didn’t have to deal with the issues with removing the old exhaust manifolds, broken studs, etc.

As far as acquiring all of the OEM / Motorcraft replacement parts, that was an art. I used FordPartsGiant, Tasca, Amazon, eBay, local dealerships, and probably some others I forgot. No such thing as a one-stop-shop for a 20 year old truck!

The top two bell-housing bolts were a 2-man job. We had to lower the trans by removing the trans support bracket, to use a plethora of extensions, wobbles, and u-joints, while I was in the engine bay guiding the socket onto the bolts. Not fun, but doable.

Last edited:

BigRed2004

Reaction score
@kep5niner, thank you for the information. Not something I plan anytime soon, but good to have the information for when it happens. Great job again on the build.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kept the original injectors. Upon disassembly, I kept the fuel rail secured to the intake manifold, so I didn’t even disturb the original injector O-rings. There were no issues with any injector leaks, so I figured if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought I would drop in for a quick update. I’ve put 10,000 miles on the new engine, and it hasn’t skipped a beat. I did run through a couple of idler pulleys, as they kept spilling their guts. Figured out I needed to chase the thread of the bolt hole in the timing cover in order to get the idler pulley to fully seat properly. Otherwise, the engine has been great. I really have enjoyed driving it, and have been looking at performance adders. Still have a pending e-fan install, addressed in another thread.

At some point I’ll be “done” with this truck, and she’ll get parked at the airport. But not yet :cool:

blacktail

Reaction score
Excellent write up and great information.

Is this the link to the company you sourced the engine from?

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Affirmative. Also, their 3 year / 100,000 warranty is standard now. You pay for it whether you want it or not. But all-in, it’s still a great deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett