Cat Back Exhaust Options for a 09 (5.4l 3v)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rowekmr

Reaction score
I hear and smell an exhaust leak underneath the cabin and was wondering if anyone tried an aftermarket cat back exhaust and how was the sound and any performance changes?

I only found Gibson that makes a system for this truck and also saw they had headers so also curious about those.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a catback on mine (2010 5.4) the previous owner had installed. Not sure of the manufacturer. It sounds really good around town, but on a trip, really wish it wasn't on. 1800 - 2200 RPM is too loud on the highway especially for anyone in back. Sure sounds good around town and OK by yourself, just not for comfort of passengers.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear and smell an exhaust leak underneath the cabin and was wondering if anyone tried an aftermarket cat back exhaust and how was the sound and any performance changes?

I only found Gibson that makes a system for this truck and also saw they had headers so also curious about those.
I have 3 inch stainless steel cat back exhaust from CGS http://www.cgsmotorsports.com/..... I agree @Dennis_H it is loud between 1800-2500 rpm. I paid around $400 installed at there shop. I need to add a resonator to it because it is loud inside the cabin, but outside it sounds good.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Gibson stainless cat back system. It sounds perfect and the quality is pretty good.

Mikezr

Reaction score
Whatever u do don't waste money on magnaflow. Get a better sound from a baseball card and a clothespin

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I have a Magnaflow cat back and wish it was louder. Easy as heck to install though so props for that.
Yesterday before work I took it back off. Wanted a little sound again. Just ordered a Flowmaster Super 40 single in, dual out, there's a local shop that does great exhaust work, so hopefully next week I'll have it welded up and done.

I'm sure the MF cat back kit would be louder with gutted cats, and I've thought about it, but I did that to my Exploder and honestly, just don't want the hassle of that again. (I beat the crap out of them with a BFH till the internals came blowing out. Took awhile to get it all out. That rig has a gibson system on it. Pretty loud...lol)