headlight polishing/recovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks to the sun here my expy got nice yellow foggy headlights:mad:
There are all kinds of polish to get but does anyone knows if they work ok?

I was wondering if you can fix them with something like commandant #4 or another carpolish.

Anyone done this?

Alex

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try something like the "3M headlight restoration kit", if they have that over there. Essentially, it wet sands the headlights, then polishes with a plastic polish.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tooth paste

a little wierd and a lot of elbow greese is needed. TOOTH PASTE! it works great. if u have the time, energy and the willing to have ur hands smell like mint all day. the right side fender was in an accident a few years ago. so i got all new stuff for that side. so my driver lense was the stock one and getting yellow. and i saw a youtube video on it. so i tryed it out. it worked great. use a buffer if u have one. less work but just a lot of time either way. and cheaper then the 3m stuff. not as clear as the 3m but u cant really tell the difference. o and i also as them compare the 2 on the powerblock. thats how i know u cant really tell the difference.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
to save you the head ache of trying to restore the lenses just to have em turn light yellow and clear,lol just order a new set of lights off ebay,u can get a oem pair for under 100 bucks,if that what you are going for or even a aftermarket set.

00XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the stuff prob. Found some brand new ones on Ebay for $46 shipped.

OP
OP
A

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a kit from maguiars with a buffer for $25,- after 15 minutes polishing had enough of that.
Think I'm gonna buy a aftermarket set of lights, looks better also, thanks.

Alex

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i tried that maguirs kit too...it didnt do as advertised...but threre was a difference...so i've been shopping for mew headlights for my wifes 05 altima...i'd like to do halo if the 04 lights will fit the 05

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Meguiars kit is a joke. If you put the buffer/polisher on the lens it had to come out better than when you started, but I was very disappointed with the "results". The 3M kit has high reviews

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 3M polishing kit. It works great but lasts only weeks, then fades again. My best luck has been to wet sand and clear coat the headlights. They look almost perfectly new afterwords. Usually the only problem has been if the inside of the light has mold or discoloring. In that case you can sometimes use Tylex or bleach to get rid of the yellow moldy layer from inside, by removing the light and bleaching then rinsing.

It's a lot of work, and if you can find a decent quality light set on ebay, then go for it. I still like the stock lights on my 2003 better than the aftermarket ones available. I just wish they were HID.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best results ive had is to use the 3m kit first and about once a month use the meguiars headlight compound with a rag no need for a buffer, i used this on my wifes 01 chrysler, they were horrible now there good as new, if there not that bad use rain x, i did this on my jaguar it does the trick