Headlight problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eolafan

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my 2009 expedition, at night after starting my vehicle and driving for a very short time with the lights on the headlights first gym and then go out completely but the vehicle otherwise runs fine. My mechanic has replaced the alternator and tells me the battery is just fine. The vehicle runs perfectly other than the headlight problem. Any thoughts?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be a ground wire that's barely making connection. Second thing is check all fuses and relays involving the headlights. Pull them check for corrosion on terminals where they make contact. On the relays and fuse swap in another one, to see if it improves.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my 2009 expedition, at night after starting my vehicle and driving for a very short time with the lights on the headlights first gym and then go out completely but the vehicle otherwise runs fine. My mechanic has replaced the alternator and tells me the battery is just fine. The vehicle runs perfectly other than the headlight problem. Any thoughts?
How long do they stay on? Do they stay on the same length of time or does it vary? Can you get them back on?

OP
OP
E

Eolafan

Reaction score
The headlights stay on for about 5 to 10 minutes and then they tend to dim and eventually go completely out after about 10 minutes.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On top of my earlier post, you may want to test headlight switch, check connector going up to it could be corrosion making it short out as it warms

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk