Headlight weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pop302

Reaction score
I sent the through the windshield images to the dealer. The service manager and tech are sure they care increase the field of view by adjusting the headlamp. Hopefully, it'll be enough so going up an incline you can see at least 1/3 of the road. The vehicle goes in this Saturday. It's not a quick job since the headlamp adjustment requires the removal of the front bumper and some under the hood stuff. The same engineer(s) that designed this projector lamp are obviously the same ones that decided to make adjustments a huge PITA.
Post images here, maybe it’s worse than what others have

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Below are the images. that little sliver of light through the windshield is the low beam while driving up a mild incline on a road without street lights.

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380 (Edited).JPG

IMG_0381 (Edited).JPG

IMG_0382 (Edited).JPG

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, so I have a platinum which means I have the LED lights not the ones you do, but that is certainly not what mine look like (especially the low beams), nor is it acceptable. I agree with your dissatisfaction. I am really interested to hear if other XLT owners on here (or Limited owners without the LED lights) have the same light situation.

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe we can turn this into a class action and get ford to stop putting the crappy halogen headlights in these and replace all the ones out there.
The cutoff is sharp on these, I agree. I assume they are within guidelines of nhtsa, but if you want to file a complaint, that’s where you start.

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe we can turn this into a class action and get ford to stop putting the crappy halogen headlights in these and replace all the ones out there.
The cutoff is sharp on these, I agree. I assume they are within guidelines of nhtsa, but if you want to file a complaint, that’s where you start.

I'm 99% certain that my condition is caused by tilting the vehicle up or down as in driving up or down mountain roads. Because there's the sharp, horizontal cutoff, there was no design consideration given to people that live in the mountains (Rocky Mountains). The low beam is low even on my first image of the back of the garage since there's a slight incline up to the garage floor. On Saturday, the dealer can only raise the beam a little otherwise I'll be in the eyes of oncoming cars. However, whatever then can do will be better than the current situation and if by some stroke of magic Ford should respond the first thing someone's going to ask is if the headlights were checked for spec alignment.

I'm sure that, adjusted properly, the low beam is within federal guidelines ON A LEVEL ROAD. I can assure you the low beam is nowhere near guidelines driving up and down mountain roads.

Although there's a bat's chance in h*ll that we'll get any relief, I have filed a complaint with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and Consumer Reports just so I know I've done all I reasonably could to remedy the problem.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are my stock halogens on my 3rd gen (low beam and fog lights), boy what a difference. Maybe yours are aimed wrong.
A31B0FAF-837A-425D-BC3A-386C2C55D328.jpeg

0F71344C-B02E-4704-829D-F7916F679BC3.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't get it. Even if our's are aimed wrong, where's your 'sharp, horizontal cutoff line? Yours look perfectly fine. Is your Expedition a 2018?