Headlight weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
Getting dark now. 2013 projectors with halogens for comparison. Highs, lows, front end.

IMG_5578.jpg IMG_5574.jpg IMG_5577.jpg

Last edited:

EricExpedition

Reaction score
IMO, it's the stock bulbs! These look great. Lows, lows w/fogs (which are bright enough to eliminate the "hard" cutoff in the projectors now), highs.
IMG_20180810_221629.jpg IMG_20180810_221639.jpg IMG_20180810_221652.jpg

EricExpedition

Reaction score
Correction on this: The projector on my F150 has the high/low in a single housing. Engaging the highs reveals the rest of the beam. The Expedition is obviously two separate housings - a projector for lows, and a reflector for highs. Just assumed they were the same without really looking so I apologize for that misinformation.
Is this your first vehicle with projector headlights? It sounds like you a referring to the sharp cutoff. The low beams concentrate the emitted light downward. Engaging your bright lights should reveal the other "half" of the beam.

That being said, I am not too impressed with the XLT projector headlights. My 2013 F150's projector headlights are considerably brighter... Go figure!

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good morning all
First drive in dark since LED install
Installed the Hikari Philips Lumileds 12000 Lumen LED bulbs in low & high beams on our 2018 EXPY XLT with projector lenses for low beams
Huge difference in brightness
So much better than halogens
Cutoff the same for low beams but very happy with the increased brightness
Use the fog lights with the low beams which helps
High beams are amazing
Well worth the $200.00 for the low beams, high beams & fog lights

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those with beamtech or ravmix LED bulbs any radio interference. I see they are half the price of the Hikari and wanted to know how they are performing.

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure you've gotten way brighter 'below the line' low beam results. But it doesn't help us in the mountains. The only way a projector type beam works up here (from what I've learned afterward) is for the housing to be automatically adjusting to the incline/decline of the vehicle.

For the next month or so we can't do anything with the factory headlights. However, when that time period is over, we're definitely looking into the bulbs and shocks suggested here.

You guys are really terrific!

Thanks,

Mark

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do all the 4th gens come with projectors? LED light generally performs worse than halogen bulbs in reflector setups, the light is more intense but less focused and illuminates less area. Most perceive an improvement but it’s less safe than the halogen bulbs. For those reasons and the light being poorly focused blinds oncoming drivers adding even more risk, lots of science behind lighting and intensity does not equate to quality and safety. I’m not sure how the headlight assemblies are setup on 4th gens. LED is NOT always a better performer nor always safer in automotive application just throwing this general knowledge out there. It is great if you have the proper projector setup but otherwise not so much.

A perfect example of this is LED bulbs in stock 3rd gen housings perform much worse than the halogen bulbs provided stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mark
Maybe the deflector could be modified. Have not looked inside the housing. Has anyone else considered this as an option:grd:

Even if you could remove/modify the deflector you would then (I'm fairly certain) not be able to adjust the headlight since the adjustment is up/down not to the right as conventional?

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plan to install these this evening. I will post pics with new bulbs on just the passenger side to see the difference. As stated above, I don't anticipate that these will solve the cutoff issue, but it will make the area up to the cutoff significantly brighter.

Side note: I have Bilstein 5100 shocks on my 2013 F150 with projector headlights. They raise the front end 2" and while I may be use to the cutoff, I never recall it being a problemwith visibility. Installing the ReadyLift 3"F/2"R SST for the Expedition with larger tires in the future. Point being, even a 1.5" leveling kit may help alleviate some of the issue. Just my experience.
View attachment 26179

This is probably a really dumb question, but... if the front end is raised 2" due to the shocks, are you then describing a vehicle that is (from the side view) sitting at an angle with the front 2" higher than the rear?

Mark