Headlight weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So are you going to escalate the issue to nhtsa? I’d love to see a quote from ford admitting the lights suck on low beams. After I changed to leds it’s better but the cutoff is still bad.

I’m not sure why you aren’t just driving your road with the high beams on all the time, if that’s your major issue. For me, driving around dark country roads at night with lots of oncoming traffic is bad, because if the high beams are off, I just can’t see anything on my side of the road.

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I filed and have a case # with NHTSA.

I'm starting the CO lemon law process. The dealer is aware of and agrees.

I set the headlights to automatic. The night before last, once my wife turned onto Horseshoe Drive (speed limit 20 mph), the brights 'automatically' dropped off to low beam and within 1 minute or so she missed a deer by ~4' that she could not see. Auto hi-beams will automatically drop to low if the vehicle is traveling less than 32 mph.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20180727_160502[1].jpg Just installed LED's in the high beams in less than twenty minutes. I went back and read a couple of your previous posts and can't understand why any dealer would remove the bumper to do anything other than replace the headlight assembly. The adjuster for the headlights is accessible through a slot in the housing cover. The no2 Philips screwdriver shown is setting in the adjuster.

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going back for my 3rd repair attempt per procedure and will definitely bring this forum information along with me. My problem is with Ford's design not the service department.

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. I’ll get on the process as well. We would probably need quite a few people to start complaining if they were going to do anything about it. Anyone else with halogen lights who thinks they are insufficient should visit the dealer and complain then file a report with nhtsa. Won’t take much time and could result in them actually addressing the headlight issues. I got mine in January and there were no led light models around to compare or I wouldn’t have done it. I still maintain that my nearly 70k truck should have come with quality headlights, when I see pretty much every new car on the road that cost much less has led or hid bulbs and drls.

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was this the thread that someone with a Platinum posted an image of their LED low beam? I've looked but can't find it now.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 2018 XLT in May
Like many of you here I am not at all happy with the "CRAPPY" halogen headlights.
I purchased the brightest LED conversion kits I could find on Amazon
Have not tried them yet though
It is so disappointing that ford would put such poor headlights on a $70K vehicle
Shame on them:mad3:
Like the vehicle otherwise although throttle response is poor
Plan to reprogram the ECU as soon as 5 star or Livernois have software available
Have done that with my previous 4 ecoboost vehicles & it really helps
Does anyone know of an online parts list for our 2018 EXPY's???:shrug:

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what you get is a much brighter area below the cutoff, correct? At this point, I can't monkey around with the light.

I was curious about the guy's 2018 Platinum low beam LED image that he posted since that unit does not have the projector cutoff. I remember him saying that he was disappointed in the overall brightness. He might be an even better candidate for the LED's you linked.