Headlights question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jchamp

Reaction score
LED light output pattern doesn’t match that of halogen, so you’ll never get great results putting them in halogen housings. Also, LEDs are notorious for performing poorly in projectors that aren’t designed for them.

At least having projectors, you’re not blinding oncoming traffic like the a$$hats who put LEDs in halogen reflector housings. But you’re not doing yourself any favors, either.
When we had them put in some time back in 2021 after I bought the expy they were both centered when driving.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took out the halogen but these fit right in the spot supposedly. They've been in for a year and a half at least. Noticed this a few months ago
Is it possible that the bulb spun around in there and is now aiming elsewhere (to the pass side)?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you mean by bleed off? Both lights are on and both the same brightness.
If that’s true then park in front of a white or light color wall, it will still project just as bright on the wall. Even brightness on both sides. Then take the bulb out and flip it upside down. Especially if it’s cheap LEDs they probably are directional.

OP
OP
J

Jchamp

Reaction score
If that’s true then park in front of a white or light color wall, it will still project just as bright on the wall. Even brightness on both sides. Then take the bulb out and flip it upside down. Especially if it’s cheap LEDs they probably are directional.
What's the bleed off though? I've never heard of it? He's gonna have to check it one day when he's able to this week. I think all the bumpy roads over time have done something is all I can think of.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the bleed off though? I've never heard of it? He's gonna have to check it one day when he's able to this week. I think all the bumpy roads over time have done something is all I can think of.
Lights are aimed, however they are not perfectly focused. The bleed off is essentially the light that is dispersed around the intended focus area. On your passenger side you can see it on the ground closest to the vehicle. Driver side does not have it. Meaning either the light is not working or it is aimed improperly.

OP
OP
J

Jchamp

Reaction score
Is it possible that the bulb spun around in there and is now aiming elsewhere (to the pass side)?
That's what I'm thinking because I went out after dark and had them on. Standing in front of the passenger side straight out both were shining bright in my eyes

OP
OP
J

Jchamp

Reaction score
Lights are aimed, however they are not perfectly focused. The bleed off is essentially the light that is dispersed around the intended focus area. On your passenger side you can see it on the ground closest to the vehicle. Driver side does not have it. Meaning either the light is not working or it is aimed improperly.
Thank you for explaining that. I went out after dark had them on. Standing straight out in front of the passenger side both were shining bright in my eyes when only the one should have been. I believe after all this time it's shifted somehow

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe LEDs have two LEDs (one on each side of a thin central pillar). If one of the sides has died, it may cause a loss of pattern on one side. As it has been mentioned, it may have fallen out! Also, it may have rotated - a lot of LEDs can have the bulb part rotate in the bulb mounting to accommodate different housing/fixtures.

The projector housing is is very good at splaying light sideways, so if the bulb is facing ‘up’ it’s not projecting light, and the ‘down’ portion of the led is projecting down and to the right.

Just guesses. Best thing is to have a look.

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those projectors were designed for halogen bulbs, not LEDs.

Try a pair of HIR halogen bulbs. They are brighter than normal ones, and are pretty cheap. I put them in mine, and theres a noticeable difference, though not huge improvement. But at least the warm color temp doesn’t get washed out in bad weather, like the 6500k LEDs do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205