Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard of some people having problems with the inside of the lens fogging up, and the LED's going out of whack (flickering or not working completely)
But I have heard more that have NOT had any problems.

I am partial to the stock looking lightning lights with clear lenses like those have, but it just has reflective silver in there to bounce light
similar to these http://www.ebay.com/itm/F150-F250-L...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a set like that on my Expy... I like them but had them installed due to some trimming of the flange right behind the light.... it was really hard to get them to fit... they shine better on the road, and i like the look..however mine wont take HID(which is ok) bulbs... it states specifically NOT to use them due to the heat or something like that...

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes with the 35 watt HID"s alot of people have had problems with the heat of the bulbs, if you have the 55 watt HID's you will be fine as they have the same heat out put as a halogen bulb

Blueoval76

Reaction score
I have those lights as shown and so far I love them. However (Keep in mine I did the grille too) I had a very hard time putting them in and having to push till something breaks. I ended up breaking the passenger side housing in 2 spots that I had to Epoxy and then seal with clear silicone. It is fine now but I just thought I would put it out there.

SAM_0853.jpg

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just like other people posted above, you're not supposed to use hids in headlights like these because of the excessive heat. i installed ones like these on my friends f150 and i remember there being a warning saying to not use hids. I got lightning style headlights for mine and they do a pretty good job with the hids so far

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
KTW, 35 watt HID bulbs will only output 35 watts of heat worst case. hence why they are rated at 35 watts. 55 watt halogen bulbs will output tons more heat than a 35 watt HID bulb. When you start talking about 50 watt HIDs, now you are talking about something that is outputting the same relative heat as the standard halogen bulb. Now, I will admit that if you get something very close to the arc portion of an HID bulb, it will tend to melt faster as the gas is burning at the bulb temp (for example 4300K or roughly 4000C, aka 7250F). So, yes, that can be an issue. But, also keep in mind that halogen bulbs are running up near that temperature too. it is just a matter of how close the reflector and the bulb base is to the source of heat.

yes with the 35 watt HID"s alot of people have had problems with the heat of the bulbs, if you have the 55 watt HID's you will be fine as they have the same heat out put as a halogen bulb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65