Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neilster1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at my wits end with HID conversion kits. I dropped decent coin on a "good" set and I'm constantly burning up ballasts. I'd love to find a set of plug and play H13 LED's that don't need ballasts for my `13 expy. Any recommendations?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'm at my wits end with HID conversion kits. I dropped decent coin on a "good" set and I'm constantly burning up ballasts. I'd love to find a set of plug and play H13 LED's that don't need ballasts for my `13 expy. Any recommendations?
What "good" set did you buy?

Neilster1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
expeditionandy had recommended a setup from xenonhids.com. They've worked well but this is ballast #2 that's gone, it so happens to be the ballast that is furthest from the power relay. Even so, I've got good power and ground every time I pull everything to test. I suppose the relay harness could be crap, but 12v is 12v.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
expeditionandy had recommended a setup from xenonhids.com. They've worked well but this is ballast #2 that's gone, it so happens to be the ballast that is furthest from the power relay. Even so, I've got good power and ground every time I pull everything to test. I suppose the relay harness could be crap, but 12v is 12v.
12v is 12v but if for Some reason the harness isn't carrying the current required as it should it could cause premature failure or just random issues. I woukd try the ballast on thr other side and see what happens

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
What do we like to replace the yellow halogen high beams in the 2015-17 trucks with projector lights. I believe its an H9 65W bulb. The yellow color bothers me now that I've fixed the low beams - if they could be brighter that would be great too, but don't want an HID solution - need instant on for high beam flashes when needed.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres some halfdecent projector-ized LED headlight bulbs on the market

They dont cut off smoothly like HIDs, but some pump a ton of light.

Ive only run em in fog light positions, but decent China brands for 30-50 bucks are purdy damn powerful.

Imho 12,000 lumen or higher kits are a must.

Zdatt brand on Amazon is pretty decent

PS modern HIDs are plenty instant on for flashing people, btw

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kerry is up in Maine for a week so I finally got around to installing the kit shown earlier in this thread. Very straightforward install...and I included a couple of pics of the frame/radiator supports as I found them........with nearly 44,000 miles, not a spec of rust!

My plan is to wait till this evening, then aim them correctly and I'll let you guys know tomorrow how I like them.

jeff

install.jpg

20180701_081005.jpg

20180701_081021.jpg

20180701_090407.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost a ballast on the right side just last week. XenonHIDS.com replaced it no charge. I had to pay postage to send it back. I'm not sure why it went bad but the new one is installed and I'm good to go. Just a pain in the rear to have to remove and replace. At least with that lifetime warranty I don't have to buy ballasts.