Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerry is up in Maine for a week so I finally got around to installing the kit shown earlier in this thread. Very straightforward install...and I included a couple of pics of the frame/radiator supports as I found them........with nearly 44,000 miles, not a spec of rust!

My plan is to wait till this evening, then aim them correctly and I'll let you guys know tomorrow how I like them.

jeff]

Is the relay really necessary?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, I grounded to the frame as you can see in the photos no fuss no muss. But I really have to wait until I drive with him in the dark before I can tell that there's no flashing or anything but it does not appear to be doing anything funny

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Must have been a fluke Andy. My car came with factory installed Xenon HIDs and they are fine 16 years later!

jeff
Keep in mind in the HID world Xenon is a very common name because its actually the gas thats burned within the HID capsule. Your OE stuff probably says that as identification not so much a brand. Chances are your looking at Osram products because 16 years ago they were one of the main suppliers for many.

Andy in my opinion I would look at the ballasts Jeff just got if you decide to buy something new. Those are Hylux ballasts and said to be the Beat aftermarket ballast available. On sale at lightwerkz through the 4th
https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/35w-2a88-hylux-canbus-ballasts.html

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind in the HID world Xenon is a very common name because its actually the gas thats burned within the HID capsule. Your OE stuff probably says that as identification not so much a brand. Chances are your looking at Osram products because 16 years ago they were one of the main suppliers for many.

Andy in my opinion I would look at the ballasts Jeff just got if you decide to buy something new. Those are Hylux ballasts and said to be the Beat aftermarket ballast available. On sale at lightwerkz through the 4th
https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/35w-2a88-hylux-canbus-ballasts.html
Thanks gixer, Is that the price for 1 ballast or for a pair of them?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the Xenons were in my SLK, my guess is they are Bosch maybe? That car has Canbus too which wasn't too common back then. I've got to hand it to them though, other than a minor inconvinece of changing the stock wattage rear taillights, it's been bulletproof and I love that they tell me if a bulb is out. Does ours do that too? I"ve been told it's possible with Canbus.

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the Xenons were in my SLK, my guess is they are Bosch maybe? That car has Canbus too which wasn't too common back then. I've got to hand it to them though, other than a minor inconvinece of changing the stock wattage rear taillights, it's been bulletproof and I love that they tell me if a bulb is out. Does ours do that too? I"ve been told it's possible with Canbus.

jeff
Not for headlights but for tail lights and turn signals.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score

jeff
Early 2000 SLK used Hella (made in Germany)ballasts like this. I'm assuming this is what you have?

s-l300.jpg

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'02 post facelift....

Anyway, drove in this morning at 4:30. The left beam is nearly perfect however the right is along like it's upside down....is that possible gix? The line so clearly defined at the top of the left beam seems under the light on the right side! I've got to look at it when I get home but it's definitely much brighter than my LEDS were, even though they are 35w in place of the factory 55w. I just need to get the one side squared away.

jeff