Headunit headaches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I have the 6 CD changer headunit, and I've complained about this before, but it just refuses to play nice. It has problems loading CDs, Ejecting CDs, and yesterday when it finished playing disk one, instead of moving to disk two it decided to screech loudly through the speakers instead of play either one.

So, basically, I want to switch headunits. However, I don't want an aftermarket one. I like keeping things stock, and I like having features like...

-The entire rear audio control system
-The feature that turns up the volume as you go faster, which is something I've always wanted but never realized was an actual thing
-Steering wheel controls (yes I know I can have these with aftermarket radios but it always involves extra money)

----------------------------------

I don't want an aftermarket unit, I have a phone mount for GPS, cigarette port bluetooth-to-FM adapters work fine for my music, and... hmm, that does bring up an interesting point, an aftermarket headunit would have bluetooth for my phone, but I would be giving up all my factory stuff. Agh, decisions!

-----------------------------------

Anyway, my general idea, and the main reason I uh, posted this question, was to ask- if I get my hands on the "lower end" headunit that just holds one CD and has a cassette deck, because I have a bunch of tapes here at home that I can listen to, and not only are the six CD changers expensive, but if mine is anything to go by, they're pretty darn unreliable.

However, I'm not sure what to get. THIS radio has the same rear end as my 6-CD radio, but the buttons are different and it seems to be a different design. (Though I kinda like it). THIS radio looks more like the CD changer, but this is also the radio that I had in my 1998 explorer sport! The plugs on the back are also somewhat different, though I can't tell if they're just arranged differently or different entirely.

And do either of those support the speed-based volume control, the rear audio, and so on? Well, I guess I'm asking that too >_<

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may want to get a used CD changer from a junk yard. It shouldn't cost to much and may solve the problem.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may want to get a used CD changer from a junk yard. It shouldn't cost to much and may solve the problem.

I wish I could, but the nearest pick-a-part for me is at least a full-day journey, if not a "sleep at a hotel for one night" journey :(

Someday I'm gonna make a trip to a pick-a-part and just grab all kinds of gadgets and bibs and bobs from every expedition I can find, just so I have a basket of whatever parts I might break in the future. And just seeing all the old cars would be fun in and of itself!

James Waters

Reaction score
I recently posted about this, too. My 2005 EB came with the in-dash 6CD head unit, but the subwoofer wasn't working when I bought it from the original owner. He said it never worked. Anyway, checking the obvious things first, the head unit itself. The Audiophile head unit should have (3) connections on the back (not including ANT). When I checked mine, it only had two plugs on back and the third harness was just hanging there (it was obviously changed at some point). I looked around on eBay and other online sources for the factory replacement (refurbished) and for the price I could buy something much more modern for about the same price (not including new harness from Crutchfield).

We ended up buying a Pioneer MVH-AV290BT and the Metra installation kit from Amazon and the wiring harness from Crutchfield that includes steering wheel controls. I have under $300 in the entire setup and I was able to do it all myself. It has everything we need, minus NAV that we use iphone for, when needed. Music apps on my phone port right over with auto-connect Bluetooth and stream music/vids PLUS hands-free calling. All wins as far as I'm concerned.

Also compatible with back-up camera that we have not installed, yet.

001.JPG

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with the earlier cassette/ radio is the plugs are more than likely different, so that wouldn't work without reinventing the wheel , literally. Second, you have a full Din sized deck, the first editions have what is known as din and a half, which is smaller, so some sort of cover plate would have to be made. On top of that you'd have to find a harness from the first edition to plug in CD changer in console. Why not either have your deck repaired, or replace with another. Theirs a couple of companies online that specialize in oem units. Theirs always somebody on Ebay, or here on the column that gas parts.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Look for one on ebay that has a photo of the plug connections on the back. If they match up, give it a shot. I don't know if the early ones had to be programmed, though I doubt it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if he gets lucky that all the plugs are the same, doubtful, the wires would have to be all the same. The harness would also have to have an extension to go to changer. He's an IT guy, but man that's a lot of splicing and adapters to go backwards in design. Fixing or replacing existing unit is a no brainer.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suppose an aftermarket headunit would be pretty nice, since if I had to choose, giving up my rear audio controls which I'll never actually use (I'm always driving!) might be worth it for built-in bluetooth...

Even if he gets lucky that all the plugs are the same, doubtful, the wires would have to be all the same. The harness would also have to have an extension to go to changer. He's an IT guy, but man that's a lot of splicing and adapters to go backwards in design. Fixing or replacing existing unit is a no brainer.

Yeah, I might be an IT guy but I really would not like to spend hours working on the wires... also, no, the changer is actually in the headunit, which was pretty cool to look at when I took it apart, but, well, it'd be even cooler if it worked properly.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so here's the two pages in my manual! I found out something interesting- the radio that ebay keeps pulling up, with the single cd/cassette player, that my old 98 explorer had, is NOT the CD/Cassette player in the manual! So perhaps I just need to find THAT one and then I can try that out...

JPEG_20180710_181942.jpg JPEG_20180710_182017.jpg

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, two updates!

Good news:

I found the Headunit that just has cassette and CD, it's NOT the old one from my explorer, it's the same style as the 6 CD changer!

Example

Bad news:

This >:C

unknown.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1