Heat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamfster

Reaction score
Ok guys, i'm stumped.

01 Exp XLT w/ manual hvac controls

It used to blow nice hot air (last winter). AC worked with out a hitch all summer, and still does. With the cool weather recently I've needed heat. Now out of the blue it gets no where as hot as it used to. If I leave the blower off for a bit, when I first turn it on it blows hot for about 45 seconds but cools down again.

I already flushed and serviced the cooling system ... new rad cap and thermostat (195*) ... still no heat. The old coolant wasn't overly nasty. Temp gauge sits where it normally does.

I checked both front and rear blend door actuators and they are working fine. I cut the hole behind the glove box to inspect the blend door and it is functioning perfectly. Still no consistent heat ...

What now guys, help me out please

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Restrictor and or heater core is mostly plugged. Disconnect the heater hoses and back flush both front and rear cores.

OP
OP
B

Bamfster

Reaction score
Restrictor and or heater core is mostly plugged. Disconnect the heater hoses and back flush both front and rear cores.

I did that already, it moves water and air thru the core easily. From the dash side, heat core is getting up to 188 as read with a temp gun (I drilled a hole behind glove box). Rear core is slightly cooler @ 171

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the flow rate into and out of the core with the engine running. Use a hose and route it back to the surge tank. You only need to watch the flow for a few seconds once the t-stat opens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bamfster

Reaction score
Based on the temp of the heater cores, I would say flow is fine. But, on the off chance something is plugged, what type of flow should I be looking for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman