Heater hose fail, now misfiring like crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No need to change the injectors. They last and last and last. But coils do fail and plug boots break down.

When the thing dries out check it for a miss and go after the cylinder's coil and boot that have the miss. Only if that doesn't work should you even think of injectors.

Not sure if you mean the boot (rubber sleeve over the coil, meant to plug up the spark plug well --- for OP's benefit), or the leaked coolant... if it's coolant, that crap does NOT "dry" (evaporate) fully. EVER.

Hence the problem, really

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks again guys. Will report back, right now the wife says it's running just fine for her grocery getting. I'll see if the CE light is on this evening and go from there.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same symptoms as you after using the hose in the engine bay....water ruined one of the coils and a misfire would come and go. CEL means code is stored, have the code pulled and it will tell you which cylinder is the suspect and replace that coil and plug. You’ll be on your way.

Headgaskets aren’t a common failure point on 5.4 3V engines, Ford changed the gasket material in 2005. That was a 97-04 2V issue. I don’t think you have an issue there.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adieu, Trainmaster, and Jeff, I really appreciate all of your guys' feedback. I also appreciate Jeff's avatar. The hose was a 57.00 part from the dealer now that I look at the invoice.. (When I spoke to the service writer he showed me a portion of hose that appeared to only go from the firewall to a mid section of the hose, so I think I was wrong on my OP.

This morning, I put the last CP back on and rechecked all connections. Low and behold it fired up and idled fine. Took it for a test drive til it was to temp and it appears to now be running much, much better. I told the wife not to beat the crap out of it today and report back. I'm thinking (possibly) the second time I removed, cleaned and reinstalled and connected the CP's may have helped?

I think I'm going to go ahead and replace all the injectors for good measure on the right side, and then the other 4 next payday. The Expedition has about 130K on it and they're still stock injectors.

Would you guys recommend nothing but Motorcraft on the injectors? Sounds like you're saying I could go a different brand and be okay?

Thanks again, I didn't expect to get such a fast response here.

Something got wet and its drying out. Coolant doesn't evap very fast, so a single drop into the wrong electrical connector can cause havoc.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something got wet and its drying out. Coolant doesn't evap very fast, so a single drop into the wrong electrical connector can cause havoc.

For all intents and purposes, it NEVER evaps fully

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like they said, no reason to worry about injectors. Just take the coils out and pull boots off and dry them or replace (cheap) and coat with dielectric grease.
You will have to blow the plug well and around plug out good with air compressor blow gun. Watch your eyes...after you do one you will see why they misfire. Lots of dirt, twigs, water ets in there.

Some guys used to wash engines and get them wet and would limp miss home from car wash and pull coils or plug wires(older ones) up and let then air out for a day but blowing them out is better.
If you are changing plugs too you can pull one at a time and start engine and let run for 3-4 second with plug out and it will blow it all out but I prefer an air gun.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like they said, no reason to worry about injectors. Just take the coils out and pull boots off and dry them or replace (cheap) and coat with dielectric grease.
You will have to blow the plug well and around plug out good with air compressor blow gun. Watch your eyes...after you do one you will see why they misfire. Lots of dirt, twigs, water ets in there.

Some guys used to wash engines and get them wet and would limp miss home from car wash and pull coils or plug wires(older ones) up and let then air out for a day but blowing them out is better.
If you are changing plugs too you can pull one at a time and start engine and let run for 3-4 second with plug out and it will blow it all out but I prefer an air gun.
I watched a video of guy who did that on a VW Beetle and burned his house down. Seems he didn't realize that without the spark plug igniting the fuel-air mixture inside the cylinder, the fuel-air vapor was ejected with high velocity out through the plug hole.....the vapor cloud didn't take long to find an ignition source. And until the car quit from burning up, it continued to create numerous explosions.

Boom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oelkersbrian