Hello!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3 valvers 05 on up had a problem with galling in their bores. Look online, you'll see quite a few expeditions and f150 has this issue. I'm sure the two valve 5.4's did too. But on the 05-08 is the worst due to lack of oil. Might be those damned phasers leaky gaskets, along with a faulty oem pump. Ulver, I know you younger guys like everything via computer, but see what happens when parts don't fit. I order big ticket stuff that way, but cheaper parts, why bother. I've got an oreiilys 1 block from me, and why take the chance of not fitting for saving what $5.00. Not worth the aggravation to me.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not seen the setup personally on a 3 valve but all of the modular Ford's I have had a part the lifter that were referring to does not move at all. It simply sits in a cylindrical cup hole in the head and gets oil pumped to it to keep it pumped up and oil out the tip. It doesn't get pushed up and down by anything like a normal lifter with a lifter bore. On these you could glue them into there because they're bottomed out all the time anyways as long as the oil passage is not restricted.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just posted a video Toby that shows the problem. Sorry I couldn't link it in to this thread. My phone and I are computer challenged. Hell it's amazing you guys even read my posts. I can rebuild an engine or transmission from scratch, but don't ask me how to do fancy things on a computer. At my age, I don't want to learn.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't see where he posts anything about what causes the problem. But I can't stand to watch the video second per second with all the camera changes and all him fumbling around to pull the rocker arm out. YouTube videos drive me absolutely bonkers.
I didn't see any pictures of a properly running modular with the valve train in action. I will post a link to one.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
I gotta throw my two-cents' worth in on the hood support struts. After discovering that the hood weighs about 900 pounds (when it fell down on my hand:favorites68:) I decided to replace them. Got a pair on eBay for $10 (free shipping); fit perfectly and hold the hood up even in sub-zero temps. Replacement struts for the liftgate glass were $20 - they also went in easily and perform as they should. I didn't see any difference in quality between the old and new, although longevity remains to be seen. Hey, I gotta save a buck where I can.;)

OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3 valvers 05 on up had a problem with galling in their bores. Look online, you'll see quite a few expeditions and f150 has this issue. I'm sure the two valve 5.4's did too. But on the 05-08 is the worst due to lack of oil. Might be those damned phasers leaky gaskets, along with a faulty oem pump. Ulver, I know you younger guys like everything via computer, but see what happens when parts don't fit. I order big ticket stuff that way, but cheaper parts, why bother. I've got an oreiilys 1 block from me, and why take the chance of not fitting for saving what $5.00. Not worth the aggravation to me.

Luckily I have a 2001 4.6l for the avoidance for this particular problem. Correct?

I like what bests suits the situation when it comes to buying parts. I go to my local auto parts store all the time for things instead of buying things via internet. It's way faster that way, and I can physically see and have some kind of reference before buying. On a side note, I also understand that these newer vehicles with all of these electronics and tech equipment and cool little features make things way more complicated than a vehicle needs to be. I've never experienced first hand how it feels to have a newer vehicle with all of the latest and greatest accessories, but I've heard that it's not as easy anymore to DIY. You've got to bring it to a dealership more or less. I'd like to hear more about how extensive that truth is.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the dealership is a lot of people's choice. But a good mechanic shop that knows these vehicles is fine, and actually preferred. Theirs quite a bit the shade tree mechanic can do on these vehicles. The tougher stuff, you either learn and tackle, or pony up the [emoji383] to a more experienced person. Sadly these SUVs are a bit tougher to diagnose and repair than say a 1975 Bronco.