Help! Changed my TPS and now it won't crank!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedTail07

Reaction score
Hey forum, reviving this thread after finding it on a search. I've got a 2014 Expedition EL XLT 2WD (5.4L), and it's been occasionally starting up in limp mode. It finally threw off a check engine light the other day, which flagged the TPS (Code PO123). Got the new part and will attempt to replace it tonight by removing the throttle body. I tried replacing it in place already, but the two bolts that hold it in are on pretty tight. I found a Youtube video where someone pulled the entire throttle body, applied heat, and then hit the bolts with an impact. Any other tips on this? Does anyone know exactly what size hex to use for those TPS fasteners? I'm afraid my efforts from last week could have partially stripped the hardware :(

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey forum, reviving this thread after finding it on a search. I've got a 2014 Expedition EL XLT 2WD (5.4L), and it's been occasionally starting up in limp mode. It finally threw off a check engine light the other day, which flagged the TPS (Code PO123). Got the new part and will attempt to replace it tonight by removing the throttle body. I tried replacing it in place already, but the two bolts that hold it in are on pretty tight. I found a Youtube video where someone pulled the entire throttle body, applied heat, and then hit the bolts with an impact. Any other tips on this? Does anyone know exactly what size hex to use for those TPS fasteners? I'm afraid my efforts from last week could have partially stripped the hardware :(

At least you are smart enough to ask for help b4 you FUBAR it....snap a couple of pics for us....there is ALWAYS a way....but making guesses at this point would only help you fubar it faster!!
LOL

jeff

RedTail07

Reaction score
Well, I'll get some pictures up later, but I was able to remove the throttle body and easily remove the TPS last night. I replaced the sensor with a new one from O'Reilly's. Followed the "learning" procedure from the video posted earlier in this thread, but ran into some issues: a) really low idle causing the vehicle to shudder, and b) no response from the gas pedal.

I'm thinking this could be due to the brand of the part from O'Reillys, because when I disconnected the wiring harness for the TPS, the idle returned to a healthy level and the gas pedal became responsive again.

I've ordered a genuine Motorcraft TPS (part DY1164) for $40 online, and it will be here in 2 days.

Anything I'm missing here? Am I on the right track?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know since I haven't read-up on that procedure....I'm just able to help you to remove bolts you may have partially damaged. I build bike engines...so after 40 years, you get pretty good at removing the tough ones.

jeff