Help! Crank; no start condition and P0232

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at work and cant get the truck started! Turn the key and it wont stop cranking. Keeps cranking when I let go of the key, which seems weird. But not even a hint at trying to start.

I'm pulling code P0232, fuel pump secondary circuit high.

Am I looking at a new fuel pump or is there a simpler option that's hopefully nice and easy to do in the parking lot here at my office?

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried swapping the fuel pump relay under the hood and that did not solve the issue. I guess I'm leaning towards a new fuel pump. Quick check on rock auto and there are different pumps for the EL and standard lengths which surprises me.

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ended up being the fuel pump. Once I pulled the old one the electrical connector was clearly burnt up. Glad it didnt light me up!
20200111_200440.md.jpg

20200111_200228.md.jpg

20200112_141535.md.jpg

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually get underneath them and bang on the tank with a brick wrapped in a towel or something while I have someone turn the key on and off and if you hear it start to spin you can usually get it home.

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually get underneath them and bang on the tank with a brick wrapped in a towel or something while I have someone turn the key on and off and if you hear it start to spin you can usually get it home.

I know that can work for a failing pump. But all the banging in the world wouldn't have helped reconnect those burned out wires!

I can't fathom the conversation the day someone suggested putting an electric motor inside the fuel tank.
Seriously! How about the next conversation where they suggested making that motor inside the fuel tank 100% inaccessible without dropping that whole tank!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know that can work for a failing pump. But all the banging in the world wouldn't have helped reconnect those burned out wires!

Seriously! How about the next conversation where they suggested making that motor inside the fuel tank 100% inaccessible without dropping that whole tank!
Probably but sometimes all it takes is a little bit of Wiggle or vibration and the burn spot will connect enough to start spending the pump.

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably but sometimes all it takes is a little bit of Wiggle or vibration and the burn spot will connect enough to start spending the pump.

Maybe the photo doesn't show enough detail. There is a pretty big gap that would've had to have been bridged to work! Plus even if smacking it around got it to start, the first bump in the road would've probably left me stranded again!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe the photo doesn't show enough detail. There is a pretty big gap that would've had to have been bridged to work! Plus even if smacking it around got it to start, the first bump in the road would've probably left me stranded again!
That's kind of a rare failure too. You rarely see any overheated wires or terminals when you replace a fuel pump. Usually the pump Just fails to spin.

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's kind of a rare failure too. You rarely see any overheated wires or terminals when you replace a fuel pump. Usually the pump Just fails to spin.

Yeah thats probably why I couldn't find much info about the odd P0232 code I was getting! It definitely overheated....wish I understood why that happened though.

20200112_141535.jpg