Help diagnosing intermittent A/C on 2011 EL Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mackenzie Gans

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I could use your help diagnosing intermittent A/C on my 2011 EL Limited (Automatic climate control with heated/cooled seats). It's getting hot here in Vegas right now and I've been to the shop multiple times but they haven't been able to fix it. These are the repairs for far:

1. Replaced blower motor and blower motor resistor
  2. Replaced wiring harness with updated WPT-688 harness
  3. Replaced blower motor and blower motor resistor again
  4. Replaced HVAC control module
The one question I have is about the updated wiring harness, when they replaced it they did not use the newer, thicker wires, just the connector. In the original wires I remember one being very thin and I'm wondering if it could be the culprit.

The issue is the A/C turns on for 3 seconds then turns off for 10 seconds. It's driving me nuts. Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership and paying a King's ransom.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't have a meter that can measure dc amps you should take it to a shop. Otherwise you'll just keep tossing parts.
Your symptoms are usually from excessive current draw in that circuit.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I could use your help diagnosing intermittent A/C on my 2011 EL Limited (Automatic climate control with heated/cooled seats). It's getting hot here in Vegas right now and I've been to the shop multiple times but they haven't been able to fix it. These are the repairs for far:

1. Replaced blower motor and blower motor resistor
  2. Replaced wiring harness with updated WPT-688 harness
  3. Replaced blower motor and blower motor resistor again
  4. Replaced HVAC control module
The one question I have is about the updated wiring harness, when they replaced it they did not use the newer, thicker wires, just the connector. In the original wires I remember one being very thin and I'm wondering if it could be the culprit.

The issue is the A/C turns on for 3 seconds then turns off for 10 seconds. It's driving me nuts. Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership and paying a King's ransom.
What, exactly, is turning on/off? The compressor or blower or the whole system?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The whole system. Blows for 3 seconds then goes silent. I can get cooled seats to run, but it's just air.

What about the rear system? Does it work or cycle on and off also? When the system is off, do any of the controls still work (or at least light up)?

OP
OP
Mackenzie Gans

Mackenzie Gans

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help and information guys. I mentioned to the shop what someone said here about the high failure rates of the aftermarket blower motor resistor, so they installed an OEM resistor. It's working now! I turned it off and on during my drive home and it never cut out. The shop didn't charge thankfully because they warrantied their work from the first repair. Hopefully have smooth sailing tomorrow, it's forecast to be 107. Thanks again for the help, you guys nailed it with the blower motor connector TSB, and again with the OEM vs aftermarket resistor.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue, I replaced the usual relay/module and had no relief. I then replaced the connector too and still had the issue. Finally I ordered a new blower motor from Ford and it solved my issue. Mine often wouldn’t run at all and I’d have to hit the glovebox or motor to get it to start however. It would turn on and off on high like you described and surge high and low at other times.

Mine is a 2007 EL Eddie Bauer with dual zone climate and heated/cooled seats....note the cooled seats can only cool 14 degrees from ambient so no air= hot seats