Help Lost key fob while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
So the vehicle honked indicating that the keys were OUTSIDE the vehicle, but you can still unlock the doors by pulling the handle? That means the key is within the proximity of the car.

As someone else mentioned, look in the running boards, below the windshield wipers, etc. It must be somewhere there in order for the doors to unlock.

Plati

Reaction score
I knew a girl who "lost" her car keys at a bar. People went crazy looking for them and there was a big rumble with the Bouncer over this. About an hour later turns out they were in her pocket in a reversible coat that she was wearing the whole time.

If you're looking for them, get another person to look. You will just keep checking the same spots over and over again. Need a fresh mind on this.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
I knew a girl who "lost" her car keys at a bar. People went crazy looking for them and there was a big rumble with the Bouncer over this. About an hour later turns out they were in her pocket in a reversible coat that she was wearing the whole time.

If you're looking for them, get another person to look. You will just keep checking the same spots over and over again. Need a fresh mind on this.

Great advice! I was going to ask if he checked his pockets, but that wouldn't have explained it not starting. The "fresh eyes" approach typically works

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the mail bins in the truck and mail bags in the truck as well. May have fallen out in a bin then had another bin stacked on top.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember reading poster saying "NO Key Detected"

Surely the fob is not in or near the truck.

I alway leave my fob in the truck and lock the doors, when I have to run into a store. The wife and kids are locked in and truck is running.

I press the last 2 button at the same time on the door keycode.

If I leave with the fob. I GET the horn beep

Last edited:

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the key fob outside, 1 foot away from the truck.

No key detected.

When I grab the handel the doors do unlock.

Sounds like the key may have fallen out of the truck and is near the truck.

Check all around the truck
Look up on the roof and inside the hatch all around the rubber

Last edited:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this has the power running boards I’m going to guess it’s wedged in there someplace so you can get a door open but not start it.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what happened to me (I posted it in another thread a while back):

Got to a small local store, put the key in my pocket, went in the store for maybe five minutes. Got back in the car, it said "no key detected". I figured I dropped the key somewhere so I retraced my steps, repeatedly. I couldn't find the key. I only went maybe 150 yards total in the lot and in the store. I used a spare to get home. I posted lost key signs and looked again to no avail. So I bought a $300 replacement key. A week or so after that I put the pants I wore to the store back on. There was the key- but not in the pocket I usually use. It was in a side pocket thigh pocket (like on cargo pants). It worked just fine. It's still a mystery. All can think of is that the key was somehow out of range being in that lower pocket. But I couldn't replicate it.

Like I said, it's a mystery.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are blind spots in the vehicle where it will bring up a "No Key Detected", this may be more apt to happen with a low battery. I always suggest buying a spare key while you have both originals. By doing so you can buy a key online cheaper than the dealer and program a new key yourself. If you then lose a key you can always add another one. Once you are in a position where you have only one key it gets expensive.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first week we owned our Expy, we parked by the front doors of a Cell phone store. When we went to leave we got the "No Key Detected". I had the stupid key in my hand. used the emergency method (in owners manual) got it started and drove straight to dealership. they replaced the battery in the fob but said that there are some stores that broadcast a signal for doors or something that in essence jams the fob. I thought it was a load of bologna so drove back, parked in the same place and sure enough happened again. I have since found one other location in town that same thing happens every time I park there.

Door works and lets me in but car won't start.