Help me setup my expy prfile for OBD2 connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
There are too technical inputs required from me to setup my car (XL 2012 Ford expedition (Non-EL), 4x4) profile in the torque pro App. It is quite helpful for diagnostics and MPG measurements.

1. Engine Displacement (Litres),
What is that? is it 5.4 ? or something else?

2. Total weight of the vehicle,
I put it 3402 KG as written on the side door of the driver.

3. fuel type (For MPG Calculation)
I live in Saudi Arabia for time being, They do not have E85 I believe, their fuel is produced by Saudi Aramco (Oil & Gas company), there are two types: Octane 91 and Octane 95. I have the following options on the App;

a. Petrol
b. E85 (Ethanol/Petrol)
c. E10 (Ethanol/Petrol)
d. E15 (Ethanol/Petrol)
e. CNG (Compressed natural gas)
f. LPG
g. E20 (Ethanol/Petrol)
h. E100 (Ethanol/Petrol)

Which one is the correct choice? I fill octane 95 in this country.

4. Fuel Tank capacity; I put 28 Imperial Gallons.

5. Boost Adjustment (Atmospheric pressure at sea level),
This is tagged as PSI, should I put it 14.7 or zero?

6. Maximum dial RPM ?

Should I put as expy max RPM in idle (4000) OR 7000 as in the instrument panel?

7. Volumetric efficiency;
It says in the App, usually 85, what is it for my 5.4L V8 ?

Thanks

Last edited:

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3. E10 is going to be the closest there is. In CA all gas is mandated at E10 minimum. CA also sells E85. Looks like Saudi Arabia doesn't add ethanol to its fuel supply.
Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Imperial gallons is .83 of US gallons. Not sure which one is used in Saudi Arabia.

5. I have mine set at 0. If he hit the question mark next to it in the app. it will bring up an explanation.

6. I have mine set for 7k

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. 5.4L
2. No idea.
3. If your fuel does not contain ethanol it is petrol.
4. Fuel tank is 28 US gallons
5. Can't see how this would be anything but 0 since your engine operates on vacuum. No boost (psi) is being utilized.
6. Never seen mine rev out to 7k. But you shouldn't have a problem setting it at that.
7. No idea.

OP
OP
T

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. E10 is going to be the closest there is. In CA all gas is mandated at E10 minimum. CA also sells E85. Looks like Saudi Arabia doesn't add ethanol to its fuel supply.
Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Imperial gallons is .83 of US gallons. Not sure which one is used in Saudi Arabia.

5. I have mine set at 0. If he hit the question mark next to it in the app. it will bring up an explanation.

6. I have mine set for 7k

Hi Tallsville,

Thanks for the reply great info, I found some new info over the web that Ford officially using Gallons Imperial not U.S Gallons on the EPA ratings, have a look here;
Vehicle - Sustainability 2012/13 - Ford Motor Company

They tell that all their fuel economy rating in terms of MPG are based on Imperial, which is 1.2 times U.S Gallons.

BTW, The Torque Pro App on my android is telling me from the ECU that the fuel is 29% Ethanole, Not sure how accurate is that and weather it is true or not, or is it even possible that the ECU provide such information?

I think you are right, E10 should be the closest their, that brings up another question, does octane 95 is any better than octane 91? knowing that E85 contains 85% Ethanole which in-turn contains 105 octane...

The Local dealership here in Saudi Arabia is recommending octane 91, I don't know on what basis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. 5.4L
2. No idea.
3. If your fuel does not contain ethanol it is petrol.
4. Fuel tank is 28 US gallons
5. Can't see how this would be anything but 0 since your engine operates on vacuum. No boost (psi) is being utilized.
6. Never seen mine rev out to 7k. But you shouldn't have a problem setting it at that.
7. No idea.

Hi Bricekin,
Thanks for your contribution,
Are you sure the tank is measured in U.S gallons? it is becoming more confusing as the EPA ratings of Ford are officially Imperial Gallons.

#7, Volumetric efficiency, I managed to measure it, it is not a constant number as it depends on the CFM, Air mass flow rate.

So my test on the vehicle revealed 75% average Volumetric efficiency on maximum RPM. After completing the setup, I was able to measure the Highway MPG and got 20.3 MPG (Again, imperial).

This figure is exactly +2 over the posted rating on ford and EPA webs for gas fuel (Not E85). However the improvement on my MPG is quite noticeable. The 4WD expedition (07-14) is 18 MPG Highway, So there is +2 MPG improvement that I could notice on my vehicle.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford really uses a larger Gallon unit for their MPG ratings? EPA rating should be provided as Statute Miles Per US Gallon. Not imperial gallon.
This is reprehensible.
My tank is 28 US gallons, gas is metered at the pump in US Gallons. So I should consider myself lucky that I got 18.6 MPG (US Gallons) using the measured miles and gas used method.

OK I looked it up. In the US, it's Miles per US Gallon. Elsewhere (Asia, an others), it's Miles per Imperial Gallon.

I thought Ford Pulled as fast one in the US and was stating their MPG ratings using Imperial.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford really uses a larger Gallon unit for their MPG ratings? EPA rating should be provided as Statute Miles Per US Gallon. Not imperial gallon.
This is reprehensible.
My tank is 28 US gallons, gas is metered at the pump in US Gallons. So I should consider myself lucky that I got 18.6 MPG (US Gallons) using the measured miles and gas used method.

OK I looked it up. In the US, it's Miles per US Gallon. Elsewhere (Asia, an others), it's Miles per Imperial Gallon.

I thought Ford Pulled as fast one in the US and was stating their MPG ratings using Imperial.

Hi Jimmy, Thanks for stopping by,
I need to know where on earth does it say EPA rating (Or so Ford's) based on US gallons ? It seems as you said, no uniform standard across the world, in U.S.A it's US gallons, else where it is Imperial.

The Tank is US gallon I have no problem, but reading Ford corporate website as posted earlier created some confusion.

If I switch the Torque pro App to US Gallons, Yeah I would get 18 MPG (plus-minus), that's no problem.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Jimmy, Thanks for stopping by,
I need to know where on earth does it say EPA rating (Or so Ford's) based on US gallons ? It seems as you said, no uniform standard across the world, in U.S.A it's US gallons, else where it is Imperial.

The Tank is US gallon I have no problem, but reading Ford corporate website as posted earlier created some confusion.

If I switch the Torque pro App to US Gallons, Yeah I would get 18 MPG (plus-minus), that's no problem.
The rating us an EPA rating. The EPA is US organization, we do US Gallons. I didn't find it on a Ford website, but on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles#Units_of_measure