Help me stay a Ford man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well when my belt shredded on my expy before I immediately knew, I lost the AC immediately and when I went to pull over I noticed the steering required two hands and some muscle to turn it, those are usually the first indicators before the motor detects under charging or over heating
. Yeah I think the 15-17’s have electric steering

OP
OP
B

bigcars

Reaction score
engine brain should have noticed right away if alternator stopped turning or charging. triggering lights and warnings.
water pump stopped pretty fast as well and this should also trigger the wrench light.

in my bus, i blew a clamp on the coolant hose, it sprayed coolant everywhere from under the hose clamp, and set off a LOW coolant light( my first indication), which tripped off cruise, and engine brake then the dreaded DANGER will Robinson shut off the engine light , followed by RED stop now lights, never did engine temp go above 212F.
replaced clamp and refilled the 2 quarts of fluid loss and off we went

do you remember if the temp spiked or was it all just warning lights
yes let warranty take over. I know they can plug in and see if any temps were exceeded. sucks to have road problems.

Well, there’s something I don’t like about the Type 3 information display. You have to cycle through to get to the stuff you’d like to have up all the time. I’d like to be able to see the OIL PRESSURE, OIL TEMP, TRANSMISSION TEMP, and ENGINE COOLANT TEMP all the time. But you lose these when you view other features.

I didn’t have the ENGINE COOLANT TEMP displayed, so I didn’t note how quick it climbed. So I’d say “it was all just warning lights” out of the blue.

OP
OP
B

bigcars

Reaction score
I don’t think you can lose faith in any make over a belt failure if that was the culprit. You can pick up debris on highway that could kick a belt off. I guess not as likely with the diaper underneath. Maybe the oil leak came first and wet the belt causing it to slip and fail.i guess the dealer will diagnose what happened in what order.

Perhaps I’m just frazzled because my anti-Ford “friends” went straight to the worst case. Like something with the turbo, or something simple happened and it may have damaged the turbo.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if the belt damaged the oil filter when it shredded.... it’s right next to it.... could be the oil leak

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The turbos are cooled by oil and coolant I believe. You could have overheated the turbo or blown an oil cooler line. Either way, the certified warranty will cover it, there should be no deductible if you have less than 60k miles, $100 bucks if you are over 60k. CPO covers the turbos water pump, and all internally lubricated parts, 5/60 original powertrain covers it all so you should be fine except for being out a tow vehicle while they fix it.

OP
OP
B

bigcars

Reaction score
The turbos are cooled by oil and coolant I believe. You could have overheated the turbo or blown an oil cooler line. Either way, the certified warranty will cover it, there should be no deductible if you have less than 60k miles, $100 bucks if you are over 60k. CPO covers the turbos water pump, and all internally lubricated parts, 5/60 original powertrain covers it all so you should be fine except for being out a tow vehicle while they fix it.

That doesn’t sound too bad. Ultimately I’ll be interested not only in what happened, but why. I’m a little over 60K, and that just seems too new to be getting stranded. Maybe I’m just used to the Town Cars and Crown Vics. I don’t recall any breakdowns until well past 100K. Of course, I wasn’t doing any towing with them either.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That doesn’t sound too bad. Ultimately I’ll be interested not only in what happened, but why. I’m a little over 60K, and that just seems too new to be getting stranded. Maybe I’m just used to the Town Cars and Crown Vics. I don’t recall any breakdowns until well past 100K. Of course, I wasn’t doing any towing with them either.
Yeah towing on a hot day with accessories on like front and rear A/C making the Compressor pull hard will sometimes make the weak link show up.In this case I believe it was just belt failure and I’d bet it Wacked the oil filter, it’s right in the line of Fire.