Help- Will my Expy tow this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you, I have learned something. Unfortunately, the OP has a 2019. Here’s the same chart for the 4th gen:
View attachment 37176

I had this exact conversation with someone several months ago. Starting in 2018, HDT included 3.73 gears standard on both 4x4 and 4x2. But the 3.31 gears aren't really an impediment for towing.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this exact conversation with someone several months ago. Starting in 2018, HDT included 3.73 gears standard on both 4x4 and 4x2. But the 3.31 gears aren't really an impediment for towing.
I concur that the gearing isn't the limitation. But it does not follow that the OP should be considering a 7K trailer without the HDT. The only question is what mods would be required (if any) for the OP to be able to safely and reliably tow a 7k trailer?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I concur that the gearing isn't the limitation. But it does not follow that the OP should be considering a 7K trailer without the HDT. The only question is what mods would be required (if any) for the OP to be able to safely and reliably tow a 7k trailer?

I agree, the HD Tow upgrades would be needed for a 7k trailer.

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
I have a 2019 XLT w/out the HD tow package and 3.31 gear. I tow a 5,000lb. Jayco and it does what I want it to. No problems after towing over 3,000 miles. But like you, a gauged my shopping for Travel Trailers 5,000 and under with a tongue weight of <600 lbs. I haven’t weighed mine yet, but I hopefully have less than 1,000 lbs. of good, water and equipment in my Jayco. No problems.

dadoo71

Reaction score
I have been towing a 2019 2509s for a while now with an 06 with tow package. Saw the same setup with a newer expy this weekend at a koa so they will do it.
Having said that, i would still prefer a f250 or bigger. It pulls and stops, doesn't sway too bad for the suspension type. But its not real happy doing it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Joshua Robison

Reaction score
I presume the Jayco 24MBH is still on the “heavy” side as well then based on the feedback thus far?

The only unit the I have found was mentioned earlier the Lance/Coachmen 208BHS Apex Nano, being under 6k lbs and a low hitch weight. Being honest it just doesn’t seem to be as appealing.

Any other light weight bunk/Murphy bed options with a slide? TIA.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find it so hard to believe that 3.31s really keep this platform all the way down to 6k when the 3.73 is good for 9.2K and previous models could hit 9.3k in with the 3.31 gear and a 6 speed.

if I was in your situation I’d put LT tires on the Max, Sumo springs, get a good hitch, watch your coolant temps and buy a 2509S. If temps are a problem add the radiator... It would be hovering around the max of your current setup, but well under what the Expedition with a radiator and 3.73s is rated for....

I am confortable saying this too because I have a 2012 short wheel base and you have a new body style MAX... we have the same gears, yet I am rated for 3.3K more knowing full well that your Expedition will handle that trailer better.

Last edited:

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it may be more a limitation of the HD trailer tow package. On Gen 4, the 3.73 was included in the HDTTP. There is no HDTTP with 3.31 gears, so therefore the limit is 6,000lbs, but you could get 3.73 gears without HDTTP by getting the FX4 package.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire