Help with body lift!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

babysilk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided im going to order a pa 3" body lift today. I have a big hockey tournoment this weekend so I won't be able to install it until next weekend. For prep work I've heard spray everything with pb blaster and pressure wash underneath the car. Any other ideas to make everything go as smooth as possible? I'm leaving fri night, Saturday and Sunday to install. Will that be enough time?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
should be enough time. and yes pb blaster everything. then pressure wash then pb again. that should do the trick.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't done a body lift on an expedition but o did one a jeep yj and it took a few hours. That's it. I assuming an Ex would take a little longer because of the size but a whole weekend should be more than enough.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if your truck has always been a cali truck should go pretty smooth. mine is a tn truck so its a whole other ballpark lol

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey,
Im fixing to install my body lift too... not sure about this weekend as the kit has not arrived via ups yet.
I have installed a pa kit on my 2001 F150 which is very similar.
Definitely use pb blaster a few days prior. Especially on the 2 core supports up front. Even then, chances are that the threads might be rusted and boogered pretty good. I had the passenger core support lock up on me and would not unthread over half way. it stripped and wouldnt screw back on either so I had to take the sawzall and cut the support right in the middle and ruin it to get it out. I couldnt find a junk yard with one so I got one from ford, but that took 4 days.
This is most likely the only issue you "may" encounter.

Having a buddy to help remove bumpers and seats is a good idea too.
Follow the instructions closely and you will be ok.
You can also message me on here or reply to this thread and I will help ya if you have any questions.

Its a good idea later on to ditch the stock fan and go electric fans as moving the radiator shroud 3" WILL cause the truck to overheat in 90+ degree traffic.
Mine did and that sucked when I was pulling my boat in traffic. It seemed as soon as the outside temp hit 91 degrees, the engine temp started to rise.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
overheating??? mine never has even above 90 while towing my boat with 37s..... weird... but clean and spray before you begin and when you go step by step on the direction use a highlighter to keep track of your steps...

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, mine would occasionally overheat in very hot conditions. After some research I found that it is due to moving the fan shroud. Now Like Walnuts, there are some that never experience overheating, but I was one of the unlucky ones.
Google search overheating afterbody lift and you will find some threads.

Here is a flexalite page that mentions overheating due to body lifts in a paragraph.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/monster-electric.html

It may also hav to do with how much you trim your fan shroud, I might have cut too much off of the tabs. I did notice a good sized gap on my F150 after I cut my tabs.

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It took me almost a whole week to do mine.. the only thing i never got to finish was to put the 6" rubber tube around the gearbox i don't know where its at since Ive never done a body lift and have zero experience but everything else went fine i have a couple of pic's in my profile.. Mine has never overheated.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of blaster and some time and it should be easy, did mine in a day.
No over heating problem here?? Also pulling a boat no 37"s but 35"

OP
OP
babysilk

babysilk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! I ripped the carpet out yesterday and pb blasted everything. Body lift is on back order and wont be here until next Tuesday so im planning on installing it next weekend. I dont think im going to convert to an electric fan unless I start having overheating problems. All your guys' trucks look good so I cant wait to get this lift installed! here is a picture from yesterday..
photo14.jpg

Last edited: