Help with Diagnosing Non-Operable 4WD.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all.

I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer 5.4 in 4WD. My sister was in a minor accident with it where the other vehicle struck my car on the front right fender. This happened prolly 6 months ago. The problem started back then as well.
I replaced the fender myself but there is another problemneeding attention. It has gradually became more pronounced, but is still driveable. As I make a turn or come into or exit from an incline like pulling into a parking lot, I will hear a popping type sound. This has been going on since the accident. The other problem is that when I switch it into any of the 4WD modes, it remains in 2WD, the same setting as it has most always been driven in. The 4WD indicator on the right side of the dash doesn’t light up.

You should know that I am VERY INEXPERIENCED in dealing with auto repairs. Not long before the accident I replaced my front brake pads myself and felt like I was on top of the world for accomplishing what for me was a major task. Now I am trying to fix these problems on my own too. I just can’t afford to take it to a garage to have done.

On the popping sound, my reading and watching videos indicate that it’s likely a CV joint. Most suggest that if the CV joint is bad, just replace the 1/2 axle with the joint on it already. They can be bought for $75 for each side. My problem is that I don’t know how to tell if one or both need replacing.
Would you agree that this sounds like the cause of the problem after the impact on the front right fender? How can I tell which one is bad or if it’s both?

As for the 4WD not working, I checked all the fuses and found no problems. In looking for the 1/2 axles I found that there is a vacuum line 4WD Actuator that is on each wheel I guess. This part is about $85-$125 each. I’m assuming that there is one on each side. Would you say that’s correct? How can I tell if this is bad or not and whether it’s the reason my 4WD system won’t operate now after the accident??
Here is the part I am talking about: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...5.4l+v8,1411119,drivetrain,4wd+actuator,10456

Any ideas or suggestions on this?

If you have any advice or can offer help on these problems I am tackling, I would very much appreciate your contribution. I need all the help I can get, believe me. I’m not even sure I can replace these parts myself.

Than you for your time and any help you care to give me. Have a great weekend.

Larry

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your 4x4 light is not illuminating the vacuum solonoid could be bad, as far as grinding and clunking could be actuators. A faulting solonoid can cause lack of 4x4 light illumination and set codes. To be honest if I were you I’d replace both hub actuators and the vacuum solonoid so you have a fresh slate on the vacuum portion. If you don’t know the last time the hub actuators were done they are due, very failure prone part with age and mileage. Give this a watch, explains actuators and if I remember correctly the solonoid is gone over as well. My actuators exhibited clunking, grinding, and squeaking when they failed. Just replaced both.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with J expedition. The accident josteled something on that side. Probably what he said.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nalajr

Reaction score
An update.

I haven’t been able to get into the repair yet due to some health issues. I’ll be good to go next eeek though.

I’m still having the “popping” type sounds that sound like the front right but not near the wheel. It’s more like it’s closer to the middle.

4 days ago we had some rain and all the spaces st home were occupied so I parked in our field. Grass was wet. Before I stopped I noticed my tires would spin easily and I wouldn’t be able to get out.
After 2 nice and warm days the grass was dry. I got in andcwas going to move it to my spot and when I tried to move, tires done nothing but spin. So...I thought “why not just switch the 4WD to the next position, AWD and just see what happens.” When I did it, nothing lit up on the dashboard but I could feel something moving under the car. After it was done, I gave it a bit of gas and nothing but when I gave it a tiny bit more RPM’s the wheels engaged and moved me anywhere I wanted to go. I could feel a strange thumping kinda sound and feeling from the front right. Since the car wouldn’t move unless I gave it more gas, I left it in gear, with the switch still on the AWD setting and got out to walk around and see if I could hear anything strange. The only noises were coming from the front right. I could hear slight thumping noises. I placed my hand on the tire to see if I could feel anything and I could. It felt like someone on the other side of the tire was pounding it slightly with a rubber mallet every second. It was steady and kept on doing the same thing the whole time I was outside the car. Weird. Felt like something was trying to go into place but couldn’t.

What does that tell you all about what’s happened to my car? Does that indicate the actuator is good or no? If you had to guess, what would you put your money on it being??

I was thinking about just replacing the CV axle and the 4WD actuator on both from tires. Good idea??

Thank you all for your time and I apologize for not getting back to you in a timely manner.
Have a good week.
Larry

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could but that's just throwing parts at your SUV. Be patient, have it diagnosed, then if you can handle it, do the repair yourself. The diagnostic depending where you take it could be free, or cost under $100.00. Worth it not wasting time and money, that doesn't fix the problem.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk