HELP with purchase decision on a '11 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rigpig

Reaction score
F-you, D-bag, I own two Fords and a Lincoln. I can bash or comment the same as you. You babies can't handle the truth. I call BS on many, the last on about prep of surface, is a prime example.
Rjderp, if you paint steel with the same prep as aluminum, you're going to have issues, and vice versa.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Rjderp, if you paint steel with the same prep as aluminum, you're going to have issues, and vice versa.
Something A car manufacture should be aware of. NO? My 2000 has a aluminum tailgate and hood and didn't peel, but a 2005 did? How can Ford use aluminum for almost 2 decades and still have peeling?

Last edited:

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2013 is good. Perfect paint. So if you have all these issues with Ford, why do you keep buying them? Easy to spell?

OP, that sounds like a great deal though. Don't let the all the negatives sway you away. They are great trucks and help on fixing anything is always a click away.

IMJACKB

Reaction score
I have a 2011 and it has been great. Other than replacing an O2 sensor, the only real problems have been with the A/C system. The motor has been great, including an 8000 mile trip pulling a travel trailer. No paint bubbling here! At 113,000 and still running sweet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My 2013 is good. Perfect paint. So if you have all these issues with Ford, why do you keep buying them? Easy to spell?

OP, that sounds like a great deal though. Don't let the all the negatives sway you away. They are great trucks and help on fixing anything is always a click away.
I haven't bought new since 2011, Mustang GT Premium. The paint sucks, a rough microfiber towel, will leave swirl marks. The Battery has gone dead, several times. The battery is too small for car. The sub-woofer amps, stay on 30 min, after ignition is turned off. The transmission shifts poorly and lugs the engine, with quick upshifts. 412hp and transmission is in 3rd gear at 17mph, how lame. It seems Ford, likes to cut corners.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 2003 Screw that I owned before my F250 Had 90K on it's 5.4 when I traded it in, no issues what soever, and all I had done was change the fluids. Would not hesitate if I was you. Checking the tailgate and hood for the bubbling, is an easy look. If there is none by this point, you probably won't have any going forward. Buy it, Drive it, and enjoy!

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
2011 Expedition XL with heavy tow package, I bought it new. At about 40-50k miles it felt like it was starting to get broken in. Great off road vehicle, mine is lifted 2" with 33" tires and I beat it hard on the dirt for work. Plenty of space. Great mileage (about 18.1 average, with a lot of in town driving, but it does 20-22 hwy, depending on speed of 65-75). Nothing has broken yet, and I mean nothing. Front seats are very uncomfortable, I bent the headrests back with a cheater pipe, and stuffed memory foam in the cushions. Added a skid plate. Towed a 6000# package over the Sierra at 65 mph and it was the first time the vehicle ever did real work. Phone package and stereo are pretty decent. I am actually starting to like this car, now at 80k. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before, but it would be hard to return to such a wimpy car. I do live in Nevada, so parking space isn't a priority, but again, the turning radius on the Expe is great. Wish I had the EL version.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I had the dealer do my spark plugs. No issues and about $150. The new Motorcraft plugs are one piece and have longer threads. The Expedition is on a, top 10 list, of vehicles that go high mileage(200+). Do you have a mechanic, to take care of say, ball joints, brakes, tierods, coil packs, fuel filter, serpentine belt/tensioner, and other routine maintenance? The fluids, will all need attention. A/C repairs are big bucks. A good set of tires is $700-800. I purchased mine, 8 years ago around 76K and it has been nickel and diming me. The money I spent, I probably could be driving something newer, if I traded up. I have noticed Fords (and other brands to be fair) hit 80K, everything starts going.