Help with purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolbreeze81

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the forums but a long time lurker. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2005 XLT with 192000 miles. The exterior/interior is immaculate and it is a one owner vehicle. There are no oil leaks or issues with the engine but the transmission was replaced last year or so. The underside has no rust or any damage whatsoever.

The guy is asking $5600 for the vehicle and i am just wondering if it is a fair price or should i ask lower. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

-coolbreeze

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems high to me considering the mileage. What is the maintenance and repair history on the vehicle?

Remember cash talks, bs walks. If it is the vehicle you want then only offer what your willing to pay, not a penny more. Take it or leave it. Don't let emotions enter the bargaining talks.

Last edited:

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with stamp, definitely sounds high. I'd be thinking more in the range of $2500-3k unless it's had alot done to it.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
KBB.com puts it at $5736.00 with that mileage. Not a real deal if you ask me. I'd keep his number but keep looking to comparison shop. He may still have it a few months from now. Remember Christmas is coming, people will need money - wheel and deal time is just around the corner.

OP
OP
C

Coolbreeze81

Reaction score
The maintenane seems to be top notch on this vehicle and it was very well taken care of. Everything works as it should and he added a rear dvd player. I was thinking in $5k range and need a vehicle asap.

Like i said, the vehicle drove well and there was no leaks or anything.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your happy with the vehicle and the price then go for it But as stamp11127 said above money talks and BS walks. If you have the cash make him an offer The worst he can say is no and then go from there

And since no one else is offering to pay for it for you Its your decision

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maintenance being top notch is a good thing for starters, but it depends on how inclusive it was. You need to make sure you look for more than just regular oil/fluid changes and brake pad replacements. Obviously, as parts minor or major, get older and get more use/wear, they are closer to their end-of-life, and needing repair or replacement, especially at close to 200K. What you want to know specifically is what has been replaced during his ownership, and WHEN was it replaced so you have an idea what you will be needing to do in the near future. Also, have any of the major components been replaced and/or has any major work been performed? transmission rebuilt, a/c compressor, a/c system, suspension, brake calipers, rotor, master cyl, etc., again, the more the previous owner has done, will hopefully result it the LESS you might need to do.

Also, was it used to tow anything, and if so, how heavy and how often?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coolbreeze81

Reaction score
Thank you for all the help so far. I am going to inquire about additional maintenance and how the vehicle was used.

This vehicle is going to be driven maybe 500 miles a month and its just to transport my kids to and from daycare about 5 miles round trip. In the end, i will probably ask for $4500-$5000 range.

Thanks again!