Help! Won't start!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reading you are getting is incorrect for a few reasons.

First - there should be 0 volts until the ignition switch is turned to the start position.

Second - the reading should be what the source battery voltage is or within .5v of it.

You can look at this two ways, the reading is correct or it is incorrect. To check which one, we need to know the voltage at fuse 21 in the central junction box. It should be rated 15a and read battery voltage on one side when the ignition switch is turned to "start". You can pull the fuse to test - we do not need the engine running at this point. Red lead is used in the fuse box, black will be on chassis ground, meter set to DC volts.

With the fuse pulled you can read the voltage again on the small wire at the starter solenoid. You should read 0 volts. If any other reading, the meter is suspect or possible back feed from the GEM.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the prints I posted Then use your volt meter and put one lead on ground and the other lead onto fuse 21 in the CJB then turn the key on you should have 12 volts then check the other side of the fuse doing the same as above

OP
OP
S

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update

Look at the prints I posted Then use your volt meter and put one lead on ground and the other lead onto fuse 21 in the CJB then turn the key on you should have 12 volts then check the other side of the fuse doing the same as above

So I haven't had no time once again to mess with the expo and the starting problem. I moved to another state, so working and trying to move is easy.
Butttt... shes been so weird. For a whole day it started with me turning the key, no problem. The next day, it doesn't start. Same symptoms.
Today I switched the key to ignition and nothing, I slam the key hard all the way back (to the point where the car isn't running, but the radio plays for a little until you open your door) and then turn it all the way to ignition and bam. It started.
By the way, the ignition switch, starter relay(on firewall), and the starter itself is brand new. I did have time to spend money tho. I know it's not the right way of doing things but I had to try and fix this before moving. Now I have time and a new dmm.
I checked fuse 21 and get 12vs when I turn the ignition switch.
Now what should I check?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Set dmm to volts dc, red lead on the wire from the ignition switch at the starter relay mounted on the firewall. Black lead must be on a good ground, battery negative post works the best.

With the key "off" you should read 0.0 volts, key in "start" it will read battery voltage unless there is resistance in that part of the circuit.

Let us know what your readings are.

OP
OP
S

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fixed!!

Set dmm to volts dc, red lead on the wire from the ignition switch at the starter relay mounted on the firewall. Black lead must be on a good ground, battery negative post works the best.

With the key "off" you should read 0.0 volts, key in "start" it will read battery voltage unless there is resistance in that part of the circuit.

Let us know what your readings are.

Thanks everyone for all of the help. I reallyyyy do appreciate all of the help.
I've had a pretty busy past month with moving from SC to GA To Miami than BACK to GA and now back home to Miami Florida. All the driving done in the expo!!! She held up great.
While I was here in Miami eating with the fam. I grabbed my uncle who's a master mechanic and asked him to check out the expo for me. After 3 seconds he tells me my lock cylinder is worn. He changed it out the next day with a new key and programmed it and it starts up like new.
Thanks again for all of the help.
Merry Christmas Happy New Years