Hey everyone! Travel trailer question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think the newer EcoBoost could handle anything within spec you can throw at it.

We know the 3.5L EB will handle north of 13,000# on a "properly equipped" F-150. But the 10-speed transmission seems like the weak-link in these late-model Expys. Not sure how hot your 06R70 gets towing those numbers of your camper ...but I'm only 6200# (GVWR) and my '19 (with HD tow) got all the way to 245F ...and they apparently go into limp mode at 250F.

The 10-speed doesn't seem to be built for the extremes of super hot weather ...unless you wanna drive it at least 10 below the posted speed limit.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How big of a rig is that, Aaoo? Do you know the model and year?

Brad, if I had to guess that thing looks like the equivalent of a 2020 KZ Sportsman 312BHSE

I think he said the year and model is a 2015 KZ29RL. No bunks and has the rear living room. Bunks would have been nice!

Here is the sticker. We just got back. Easy going both ways.

607D0761-569C-495F-8E90-04FC92C8F570.jpeg

Last edited:

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AAOO ...depending on how often you're going to tow that (being a buddy's coach), I bet some adjustments could be made to the WDH to reduce your squat. I followed my Husky installation instructions to the "T" and it had me install the chunk that has the ball / goes into the receiver ...1" higher than "level trailer tongue height". I did that AND put sway / WD bars that were overrated for my tongue weight. I only got 1/2" of squat from stock and it pulls like a dream.

I think that would help greatly. His hitch is setup for his 250 and is on the lowest setting. The WDH is also a Husky.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We tow a 34' Airstream and the Expedition tows it like a champ! I wouldn't be too concerned with the exact towing and payload numbers, but do make sure you've got your hitch setup dialed in. I highly recommend CanAm RV in London, Ontario, no matter how far you'd have to drive.

It's worth noting that Ford has a world class hitch receiver installation already. Most other manufacturers need to have their receivers reinforced for heavy duty towing.

DExpy17

Reaction score
We pull a freedom express 292bhds with our 18 xlt El with max tow package. Drive train handles well even in the Appalachian, Allegahny And Pocono mountains. Handles really well on calm days. Have stay under 60 on windy days. Listed as 5975 dry with 1600+ cargo room. Actual build weight is 6425. Fully loaded (no water til campsite) 7625. Just over max weight. I have moved things around so tongue weight is right at 930 ( best I could do. Fully loaded with 2 adults, two teens and a toddler and an 80# dog we are 200# under the combined weight and under all the axles load ratings verified at CAT scales. So, the larger units with separate bunk house is feesable. If doing again I would look at the apex 300bhs I miss having the dinette with large windows out the door side to be able to see the kids/ dog. Also it has a slide and door for the bunkhouse. WDH dialed in and loading of the trailer are essential for this setup though.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We pull a freedom express 292bhds with our 18 xlt El with max tow package. Drive train handles well even in the Appalachian, Allegahny And Pocono mountains. Handles really well on calm days. Have stay under 60 on windy days. Listed as 5975 dry with 1600+ cargo room. Actual build weight is 6425. Fully loaded (no water til campsite) 7625. Just over max weight. I have moved things around so tongue weight is right at 930 ( best I could do. Fully loaded with 2 adults, two teens and a toddler and an 80# dog we are 200# under the combined weight and under all the axles load ratings verified at CAT scales. So, the larger units with separate bunk house is feesable. If doing again I would look at the apex 300bhs I miss having the dinette with large windows out the door side to be able to see the kids/ dog. Also it has a slide and door for the bunkhouse. WDH dialed in and loading of the trailer are essential for this setup though.

Howdy DExpy, I assume you meant a '17. Definitely still a 3.5L EB though. The one difference is I think you have the 6-speed, and these 4th-gens have the 10-speed. For me personally anyway, that seems to be of the greater concern. My situation is somewhat unique in that a good portion of my TT towing will be from triple-digit temps climbing lots of hills to get into the higher-elevations of Northern Arizona. I'm not really concerned about trans-temps from say October - May (15th), but that late-May to late September temperature pattern has me concerned about the longevity of the 10R80. Time will tell.

In any event it sounds like you've gotta sweet setup and I'm hoping to upgrade to something a little bigger than what we have now (but will probably never go beyond 7500# GVWR ...unless we move to a cooler climate).

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Expy Platinum w/HD tow, 3.73 gears. KZ 301BHSS camper, 6,200 UVW. I have an Equalizer hitch and put on XL tires. Recently I added Sumo springs. There is no lack of power as we just got back from Estes Park Colorado and if you can afford the gas there is no problem climbing the grades. I always tow with no water in the tanks.

2018 and camper full size.jpg

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
2018 Expy Platinum w/HD tow, 3.73 gears. KZ 301BHSS camper, 6,200 UVW. I have an Equalizer hitch and put on XL tires. Recently I added Sumo springs. There is no lack of power as we just got back from Estes Park Colorado and if you can afford the gas there is no problem climbing the grades. I always tow with no water in the tanks.

View attachment 37200
Can u advise what Sumo springs u bought. How well do they really help in your opinion
thanks