Hey everyone! Travel trailer question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FeelsBradMan

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've been toying with the idea of spending a couple years traveling the US with my family full time before my kids are off on their own. My question is, what do you guys tow travel trailer wise? Model number and weight? Also, how do you feel the vehicle performs?

I bought a 2019 XLT 4x4 w/ max towing because I was uneducated about towing and thought with a 9,200 tow capacity I would be fine with anything under that number.... well as you know it turns out there is more to it than that.

Payload is shaping up to be our biggest hindrance in determining what we can tow since there are six of us total.

For any more experienced towers, how reliable is published hitch weight on a trailer? Should I go by that number or should I just assume 10 to 12 percent of the overall trailer weight?

Bonus points if you've got any pics of your rig, I'd like to see them!

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've been toying with the idea of spending a couple years traveling the US with my family full time before my kids are off on their own. My question is, what do you guys tow travel trailer wise? Model number and weight? Also, how do you feel the vehicle performs?

I bought a 2019 XLT 4x4 w/ max towing because I was uneducated about towing and thought with a 9,200 tow capacity I would be fine with anything under that number.... well as you know it turns out there is more to it than that.

Payload is shaping up to be our biggest hindrance in determining what we can tow since there are six of us total.

For any more experienced towers, how reliable is published hitch weight on a trailer? Should I go by that number or should I just assume 10 to 12 percent of the overall trailer weight?

Brad ...Here's my take; and this has always been my take about towing. Once you get past 75% of max trailering (6900# with a 9200# tow-rating), you have to be willing to be a slow-poke. Especially up the steep grades. I have just one towing experience with my new (holdover) '19 Limited (4WD w/HD towing), and my tendency to wanna pull grades at 55mph+ is going to have to change, if I want this transmission to survive the life of the vehicle.

Our current camper is a Jayco X23E. It' the "hybrid" that has tent beds that tilt-out of three of the sidewalls on the camper. It's super convenient to have 3 full-time beds (for the 6 of us); however, it's just NOT a hot-weather camper. On our recent camping trip, we were in a KOA, with full hook-ups and ran the A/C constantly, and still had hot-spots all over the camper (especially near the tent beds, of course). We saw daily highs of 92-95F.

Anyway, we will be upgrading to something of fairly equal size, and probably a "bunkhouse" model so that we can still have 3 full-time beds. Here are the models on my list of consideration so far...

Gulf Stream Envision 284QB
Keystone Bullet 290BHSWE
Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Cruiser - MPG 2800QB
Highland MR2802GH
Pacific Coachworks 26BHS
Forest River Apex 300BHS

There are many others. My "pie in the sky" coach would be the Lance 2445 travel trailer, or the Lance 2685 Toy Hauler (but they are very pricey).

Here is my current setup...(6200# GVWR / 620# tongue-weight; Husky WDH).

View media item 7186View media item 7189

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score

What is your actual payload rating via the yellow sticker?

Also, I'm not going to lie... I don't think I'd full time as a family of 6 in anything you'd want to drag all over the country with an Expedition. I guess if you start looking at this 30+ foot trailers maybe but your going to be on the razors edge weight wise.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brad ...Here's my take; and this has always been my take about towing. Once you get past 75% of max trailering (6900# with a 9200# tow-rating), you have to be willing to be a slow-poke. Especially up the steep grades. I have just one towing experience with my new (holdover) '19 Limited (4WD w/HD towing), and my tendency to wanna pull grades at 55mph+ is going to have to change, if I want this transmission to survive the life of the vehicle.

Our current camper is a Jayco X23E. It' the "hybrid" that has tent beds that tilt-out of three of the sidewalls on the camper. It's super convenient to have 3 full-time beds (for the 6 of us); however, it's just NOT a hot-weather camper. On our recent camping trip, we were in a KOA, with full hook-ups and ran the A/C constantly, and still had hot-spots all over the camper (especially near the tent beds, of course). We saw daily highs of 92-95F.

Anyway, we will be upgrading to something of fairly equal size, and probably a "bunkhouse" model so that we can still have 3 full-time beds. Here are the models on my list of consideration so far...

Gulf Stream Envision 284QB
Keystone Bullet 290BHSWE
Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Cruiser - MPG 2800QB
Highland MR2802GH
Pacific Coachworks 26BHS
Forest River Apex 300BHS

There are many others. My "pie in the sky" coach would be the Lance 2445 travel trailer, or the Lance 2685 Toy Hauler (but they are very pricey).

Here is my current setup...(6200# GVWR / 620# tongue-weight; Husky WDH).

View media item 7186View media item 7189

Wish you lived closer, that's one of the trailers I am looking at getting in a few years. I have an older 2005 21SB which is that same trailer but 2 feet shorter. To help you with the heat until you go full hard look at the popupgizmos, they make a pretty significant difference on the heat/cold. I have even added that silver bubble insulation stuff in the popup windows and it helps a ton with keeping heat out and heat in depending on time of year. I probably don't camp at temps as hot as you do in Arizona but they make a big difference for me. We rarely need the AC and the couple of times we did need it we had no trouble keeping things cool. In July in the mountains it might hit low 80's and we don't bother with AC during the day because we aren't in the trailer, obviously cools down at night.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what do you guys tow travel trailer wise? Model number and weight? Also, how do you feel the vehicle performs?

I have an Outdoors RV Creekside 18CK. It has a GVWR of 5900lbs, and weighs about that fully loaded. It also has tongue weight of about 900lbs. I've got about 12,000 towing miles on the Expedition with the trailer and have been really happy with the Expedition's performance. Over flat ground, it's very happy trundle along at 70mph in 10th gear at 1800rpm. And it'll do whatever I ask it over the passes, so long as I'm willing to pay for the fuel. And tow-haul mode uses as much engine braking as can be provided by a 3.5L v6.

As for tongue weight, you should not use the published hitch weight! It doesn't include batteries, or propane, or... My tongue weight is over twice the published tongue weight because my trailer has 500lbs of water just behind the front wall. But that doesn't mean you should use 12% either, as 12% is the minimum TW required for stable tracking. For a "can I tow this", use 15% (or use the internet to find out the tongue weights measured by existing owners of a given make/model).

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is your actual payload rating via the yellow sticker?

Also, I'm not going to lie... I don't think I'd full time as a family of 6 in anything you'd want to drag all over the country with an Expedition. I guess if you start looking at this 30+ foot trailers maybe but your going to be on the razors edge weight wise.

Ian...I think it kinda depends. If I was going to take my family (also 6 of us) on a year's-long, or more, "tow about" ...I would just be dedicated to doing 95% of that in well-established campgrounds with full hook-ups and amenities. I sure wouldn't want to boondock with a "smallish" camper and 6 people. But, I think if you pick the right layovers (campgrounds) while your moving about ...and you stay in one place for 3-4 weeks and can establish a nice outside screen tent / cooking area ...the 24-26 footers would be fine for a family of 6.

Wish you lived closer, that's one of the trailers I am looking at getting in a few years. I have an older 2005 21SB which is that same trailer but 2 feet shorter. To help you with the heat until you go full hard look at the popupgizmos, they make a pretty significant difference on the heat/cold. I have even added that silver bubble insulation stuff in the popup windows and it helps a ton with keeping heat out and heat in depending on time of year. I probably don't camp at temps as hot as you do in Arizona but they make a big difference for me. We rarely need the AC and the couple of times we did need it we had no trouble keeping things cool. In July in the mountains it might hit low 80's and we don't bother with AC during the day because we aren't in the trailer, obviously cools down at night.

Dune...excellent point. I had researched those back when I had a regular pop-up camper and wanted to get some. Probably the cheaper option for me for the time being. That being said, I seem to have my wife super interested in the Lance 2445. As I said, it's dang pricey, but I see that bugger as our lifetime camper (with proper maintenance). Lance just makes some of the best stuff, hands-down.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Dune ...also meant to say "closer" is all relative man. Utah is nothin'. I just bought my '19 Expy up in Kemmerer, Wyoming and drove it back to the Phoenix area. We flew to Ogden ...the dealership picked us up there and drove us the 2-hours to Kemmerer/Diamondville and we took a day-and-a-half to get it home (had a stay-over in Beaver, Utah).

If you're serious, LMK. Like I said, I have the wife's interest piqued in upgrading and my RV dealer has a new Lance 2445 showing-up in a month. If "the boss" signs-up, I'm either selling or trading the Jayco X23E in.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 37076 Here’s a pic, although not a good one...

Shane ...do you have a WDH on that? It looks a little "squatty." If you don't ...I can't recommend one enough. I bought a Husky TS for the 800-1000# tongue weight for under $400 and is was the best towing investment I've ever made. The backend of my Expy only squatted half-inch once I got it all tuned and setup right.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shane ...do you have a WDH on that? It looks a little "squatty." If you don't ...I can't recommend one enough. I bought a Husky TS for the 800-1000# tongue weight for under $400 and is was the best towing investment I've ever made. The backend of my Expy only squatted half-inch once I got it all tuned and setup right.
Yes, I have a WDH with 1400lb bars. There’s a little squat (did I mention the 900lb tongue weight?), but this picture/angle exaggerates it.