Hid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i searched but couldn’t find anything on hid for 2nd gen. I have a four piece set of hid with the ballast from another ford not sure make and model. Would like to install them on my 03 eb. One set is 9005 high beam and one is a different number not 9006 like I need. Can you just change the bulb or is this a matched type deal. I have no idea about hid’s but I am very capable with electronics of any kind! I work on boats not cars. We don’t have hid’s on boats so I have never learned about them. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, generally you can just a set of 9006 HID base bulbs in the temperature you want. A 5000 temp bulb will give you a nice white beam.

-Mike

OP
OP
T

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chinese kits are $30 - 40 on amazon

I was looking at those but I would rather use the ones I currently have I heard they were really good quality. They are gtr lighting and the kits run around 250-300 for a pair. I have two sets of ballasts and one set of bulbs that are the right number, just wasn’t sure if I could buy a different bulb to plug into the ballast.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking at those but I would rather use the ones I currently have I heard they were really good quality. They are gtr lighting and the kits run around 250-300 for a pair. I have two sets of ballasts and one set of bulbs that are the right number, just wasn’t sure if I could buy a different bulb to plug into the ballast.

You might need a plug adapter depending on what bulbs the ballasts are for and what bulbs your headlights take.

Bulbs are $10-70 depending on brand

OP
OP
T

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might need a plug adapter depending on what bulbs the ballasts are for and what bulbs your headlights take.

Bulbs are $10-70 depending on brand

Two of the plugs from the box to the original headlight connector are perfect. The other two seem to be the same design but slightly smaller. If I unplug the adapter harness from the ballast, the factory headlight plug will go into the ballast on the input side like it should. But at the same time the ballast is so close to the light I can’t move it. I think I’m going to have to make that connector. Luckily I can pull the pins and put in the right size connector to make the adapter. I should have the correct plug at work.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two of the plugs from the box to the original headlight connector are perfect. The other two seem to be the same design but slightly smaller. If I unplug the adapter harness from the ballast, the factory headlight plug will go into the ballast on the input side like it should. But at the same time the ballast is so close to the light I can’t move it. I think I’m going to have to make that connector. Luckily I can pull the pins and put in the right size connector to make the adapter. I should have the correct plug at work.

Uhm... ballasts shouldnt be attached to anything you yourself havent mounted them to

By adapter I meant a cord

OP
OP
T

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Uhm... ballasts shouldnt be attached to anything you yourself havent mounted them to

By adapter I meant a cord

The ballast has a plug that goes from the ballast to your factory headlight connector.
This plug on two of my ballasts are slightly smaller than the factory plug and don’t connect.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ballast has a plug that goes from the ballast to your factory headlight connector.
This plug on two of my ballasts are slightly smaller than the factory plug and don’t connect.

Yes.

You attach an adapter. Which consists of two different size male and female plugs connected by a flexible wire.