Hidden Winch Mount for Expy XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okgearhead

Reaction score
That’s what I did on my 2011 F150, I built a front receiver for it and ran cables to the front and rear of the truck so I could use the winch on either end.

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An alternative is to install a front receiver hitch and get a receiver winch.
I had a front receiver on my 2007 El for a while I used for pushing a boat into a narrow garage opening. It was hardly visable.

kv996s

Reaction score
No worries I had asked the same question before and was worried about the same thing before installing mine. Basically on lower portion of the grill there are two horizontal openings where I can insert my hands through to turn the lever and our plug in the winch control cable. The winch can be controlled wirelessly not so worried about that but access still necessary in case the remote control ran out of battery. Take a look at the picture there's plenty of room to stick your hands through and turn the spool lever and/or plugin the winch control harness.

View attachment 19132

View attachment 19133

View attachment 19134
Tavy, thank you for posting this thread! I would like to do this same winch set-up on my 14 Expo EL. It looks like a clean install and set-up! My question is on your RCI skid plates, did they bolt right up? Also did you do the transfer plate as well?

Reaction score
I'm installing this same winch plate on my 2007 Expedition EL Limited 4WD and there's a metal cross beam behind the front bumper interfering with the front of the mounting plate (where the fairlead attaches) that's preventing me from moving the winch far enough forward to align the mounting holes. Will not work without cutting the metal cross member. Damn!

Aces

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP Thanks for this. I was looking at doing this and finally getting rid of my push bar. Just to confirm, you bought a rough country mount? Also, what about the mount for your fairlead and license plate. Thank you in advance.

Icemanjones

Reaction score
Help! Did anyone measure their winch mount? I have contact ICI, Rough Country and the other guy with the boxed fairlead and none of them have dimensions and cant provide them. I need to know the height difference between the mount legs and the winch plate. In other words the height difference between lower horizontal and upper horizontal plates. Also how far from the lower mount holes to the point that the mount bends up on the sides. Thank you.

vincentrose

Reaction score
So TAVY... is this the Rough Country Winch Mount from the F150 as featured in the Rough Country video that you installed on the Expy?

vincentrose

Reaction score
I'm installing this same winch plate on my 2007 Expedition EL Limited 4WD and there's a metal cross beam behind the front bumper interfering with the front of the mounting plate (where the fairlead attaches) that's preventing me from moving the winch far enough forward to align the mounting holes. Will not work without cutting the metal cross member. Damn!

JoeKnowsFlaHome, Was this Metal cross beam preventing you from installing the Winch Mounting Plate, or the winch itself??

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How long did it take you to install the winch plate and winch? I have both sitting in my house because I'm not sure how long it'll take to install and my kids don't give me long periods of time to do anything. Also did you have your vehicle jacked up or on a lift when you did it?