High beam circuit point for Fogs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am wiring in a set of aftermarket fogs this weekend, and I am looking for the best place to tap into the highbeam circuit for a trigger for the lights power relay and switch. I want the fogs tied to the high beam, so they turn off when I dim my lights.

Off the MFS? Which wire?

Off the fuse block? Which fuse?

Other?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest to get to would be the high beam hot wire near one of the head lamps. If you wanted to keep the relay inside then tap into the hot wire for the high beam after the central junction fuse box.
I'm assuming Ford used the same wiring logic as my 99 but you never know. It would be better to get your hands on the wiring diagram to be sure.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why not tie in to low beam...keep them on whenever the headlights are on unless u have DRL...i have the automatic option so they come on whenever the sensor detects its dark enough and with this option i can have the fogs on/off...i keep them on and they only come on when the lights do...thats the route i would go...in fog conditions high beam doesnt work and you'll have your fog lights

OP
OP
L

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys, a couple of further points;

The lights I am installing are actually driving lights and not a fog pattern, and when the switch is on I want them them turn on and off in synch with the high beams so when I dim for on coming traffic I don't have to dim the driving lights separately from the high beams.

The relay for the lights will be mounted underhood to minimize the high power run from the battery to the fuse then to the lights. So would much rather find the high beam circuit in the truck cabin to run to the D.L. switch then out to the relay. I would prefer to not run the circuit from underhood into the cabin and then back out underhood again.

Oh, and the truck would have had DRL from the factory, but it appears that the previous owner disabled them...

OP
OP
L

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not really, I just need to know where I can splice into the high beam circuit.

I was just hoping someone could tell me where and which wire I am looking for, rather than having to dig through the dash/steering column with a multimeter...

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't just T-tap it from one of the high beam wires going to the headlight? Heh, that'd be the easiest I'd think, though def. not the cleanest. At least it would minimize the amount of wiring.

OP
OP
L

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Want to do the splice in cabin and not under hood, to minimize the cable runs through the firewall.

If I do it under hood, then I have to run the cable back into the cabin to the fog light switch, then back out through the firewall to the relay.

I have a wiring diagram now, so am going to find the wire from the MFS and splice into that.