High Idle Mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinw2345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a 98 Expy and am looking into getting into spl's (subwoofer comps) and was wondering if there was a high idle mod for the 98 5.4 Expy. If not would there be a chip or programmer that could do this for me? At a spl you need to rev the rpm's to 2k to keep the battery charged, i know i have seen them for the Ford F series trucks, but was wondering if it was also compatible with the Expys. Thanks guys any responses are appreciated.

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a 98 Expy and am looking into getting into spl's (subwoofer comps) and was wondering if there was a high idle mod for the 98 5.4 Expy. If not would there be a chip or programmer that could do this for me? At a spl you need to rev the rpm's to 2k to keep the battery charged, i know i have seen them for the Ford F series trucks, but was wondering if it was also compatible with the Expys. Thanks guys any responses are appreciated.

Why not just get a better alternator? Wrangler (brand not the vehicle) alternators usually put out something like 80-90% of their rated load (they have 200+ amp models available) AT IDLE.

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i dont think haveing an idle of close to 2 grand is good for the truck, i know it can be done, i heard you have to screw with the pcm but once you do that its not reversible a friend of mine did that on his work van, yea it was just all downhill from there

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on high output alternator. I do not know how many cfm's the stock fan moves, but one thing I would look into is if overheating might be a problem with the truck idling that fast all the time.

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also love to have a high idle switch...when Im stopped in the work exped the A/C gets hot FAST and it would be nice to hit a switch and have my A/C cool off (vs stepping on the gas)...especially when working wrecks in the 100+ heat