High idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After all the trouble of replacing egr valve she runs great with no check engine light but I have noticed once it warms up it will idle good around 600-700rpm in gear then after driving for a little once engine is a full temp it starts to idle at just under 1000rpm in gear and 1100rpm or so in neutral.
My wife who drives it daily said its been doing it since before egr replacement but I didn't notice until recently after.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanx

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Have no idea how that could be related to the egr function unless you disturbed something else in the process of replacement.

Egr should be inactive at idle..

Check your work. Look for leaks. Could try resetting the pcm if you did not but doubt it will help?!

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on what Tom said.
Sounds like you could have disturbed something.

Check the air intake hose that loops around the egr and plugs into the intake. Also make sure your egr sensor hoses are connected on both ends.

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked your idle air control valve? Might be gummed up in there. Pretty common problem. I clean mine with MAF cleaner because I don't know if there's any rubber bits in there that carb cleaner would melt.

OP
OP
B

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanx guys.
I have gone through and checked all hoses rechecked torque on all bolts. And when I replaced egr I had to pull off plenum and throttle body to drill and retap snapped bolt so I cleaned them to like new before reinstalling.
Then tonight I was sent to grocery store for coffee creamer and doughnuts and was doing it once I got there and was warm. So on the way back I thought mabe my cleaning got some gunk loose that I couldn't see so I ran her realy hard on the way back and got to a stop light before turning on my road and was idling normal 700rpm. And checked again once in my driveway still 700rpm in gear and just slightly higher in park. Gonna keep an eye on it but mabe it's all good now. If not guess ill just replace iac.

Thanx again