High mileage Expys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think my radiator problems were installation related. My coolant has been flushed a couple times so it shouldn't be corrosive (yet).

As far as manifolds, I don't live in a rust hell hole. Mine are still good.

Doug Taylor

Reaction score
After putting on a fresh new air suspension pump/dryer from Arnott, I've begun to develop an occasional loss of air. This might happen after a week, or it might happen overnight, or it might happen in a couple hours. you never know when it's going to drop on the rear tires. The pump works perfect to inflate the bags back to normal and never operates while driving.

It sounds like you have a leak in one or both rear air springs which probably caused your first compressor to die. But congratulations on getting that many miles out of the originals. To check, spray a solution of dish soap and water on them and look for bubbles. Typically they dry rot around where they fold upon themselves. Sometimes when the spring is aired up (or down) at a certain point it can put pressure on the tiny cracks and temporarily stop or slow the leak. But you'll want to get them fixed right away or it will "burn out" your new compressor.

They are fairly easy to change out and in terms of air suspension repairs are one of the least inexpensive fixes. Here is a link to Arnott's air springs (Note: this is for 4WD - They have a different spring for 2WD):

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pr...navigator-ford-expedition-4-x-4-left-or-right

RonB1964

Reaction score
Couple things: These evidently are prone to a coolant leak that is either gasket or crack in intake. Other thing is that bypassing the heater core(s) can be problematic because the flow to it isn't as easily accessible if you want to bypass it. The return is a metal tube that goes under the intake into the back of the pump. Its all doable, just not the two minute job like on most engines. Seems from what I am seeing and reading on here, lots of simple maint can be a pain because the engine sits so far back and stuff is hard to get at.

RonB1964

Reaction score
The issue I had with the intake is the crossover passage on the passenger side. It has a groove in the plastic where an o-ring gasket seals the two parts together. The thin piece of plastic breaks, and the part of the o-ring gets sucked into the coolant area, which causes a leak.

RonB1964

Reaction score
Also, mine is at 260K, but currently needs a fuel pump. I have a new pump and filter ready to install, but need to find some time. Also taking care of rear axles/bearings, loose trans center sypport bolts, fluid changes, front axles, door locks, and an oil leak on passenger side rocker. I'm taking it past 300k and beyond.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put a ground strap on that radiator and the car will stop eating them. Then check the head gasket right above the starter for a water or oil leak. Change the exhaust manifolds yet? You will.

wait, what?
can you or somebody else explain this better...

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
175k on my 2000EB. Just dropped it off at the dealer today to flush tranny, coolant, brake, p/s, and new synthetic oil change.
Great truck.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wait, what?
can you or somebody else explain this better...

I was thinking the same thing...what does that mean!?!?!?!?!? A ground strap on the radiator? Did I miss something?

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Also, mine is at 260K, but currently needs a fuel pump. I have a new pump and filter ready to install, but need to find some time. Also taking care of rear axles/bearings, loose trans center sypport bolts, fluid changes, front axles, door locks, and an oil leak on passenger side rocker. I'm taking it past 300k and beyond.

This makes me feel sooo much better about the costs I incur doing preventative maintenance on my 2000EB. If I can get 300k this truck would have paid for itself!