High mileage Expys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Our radiators have plastic end tanks and are electrically isolated from the vehicle, so no need to put a ground strap on the radiator (core??). This makes no sense.

I have a 2WD 2001 XLT with 183k flawless miles. I had to put in a heater core about 4 yrs ago, and I have recently begun replacing parts as preventative maintenance, not because of failure. I just replaced the air springs (Arnott)/solenoids (Westar)/ride height (OEM)sensor/compressor (Arnott). I'm also putting in a new alternator since I'm doing a stereo upgrade and didn't want to over stress the original unit.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2001 5.4 270K.
Runs great. Had to have a fuel pump put in a few months ago.
Now I think I have the infamous cracked intake or something. Its leaking coolant.
find the source of the leak, might just be an easy fix coolant line,

be sure it's not getting in the oil

i'm up to 520k clicks aka kilometers

MX EXPY

Reaction score
I just retired a 98 4.6 with 320k, still ran great, burned a little oil but was rusting beyond repair (wells,doors, sills, etc)IMG_2612.JPG

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
find the source of the leak, might just be an easy fix coolant line,

be sure it's not getting in the oil

i'm up to 520k clicks aka kilometers

Not in the oil (yet, haha). That's the first thing I checked. Since winter is over and it instantly jumped up to 150 deg here on planet Texas and I am no longer using the heater, the leak has stopped. I am pretty sure it is not a hose. I think it is either the gasket or the intake. The mechanic looked at it and basically said the same. He said since it is almost all labor, then replacing the intake while he was in there would prob be the smart way to go. Since I am on a budget and its not in the oil, not leaking when heater is not used, and all operating temps are good. I am just living with it for now. Wish I had a garage and could tear it apart and fix it....

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
09 black Ltd EL. Miles just crossed 258k. Replaced normal sensors and sunroof leak only problems so far. Love it.
I just retired a 98 4.6 with 320k, still ran great, burned a little oil but was rusting beyond repair (wells,doors, sills, etc)
360,000 and its okay

Now we're talking. Every time I see these high mileage threads on other forums I see people posting about 60-80K "trouble-free miles" as if that is somehow high mileage. S**t, I hope so. Even a '90s Kia could hit 60-80K. I'm looking for 200K+ out of my vehicles.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not in the oil (yet, haha). That's the first thing I checked. Since winter is over and it instantly jumped up to 150 deg here on planet Texas and I am no longer using the heater, the leak has stopped. I am pretty sure it is not a hose. I think it is either the gasket or the intake. The mechanic looked at it and basically said the same. He said since it is almost all labor, then replacing the intake while he was in there would prob be the smart way to go. Since I am on a budget and its not in the oil, not leaking when heater is not used, and all operating temps are good. I am just living with it for now. Wish I had a garage and could tear it apart and fix it....

it doesn't make sense...the leak.stopped, since you don't use the heater? Coolant flows through the heater core no matter if you are using the heater or not.

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it doesn't make sense...the leak.stopped, since you don't use the heater? Coolant flows through the heater core no matter if you are using the heater or not.
It didn't make complete sense to me either John. All I know is when I stopped using the heater, it stopped leaking. I just checked it the other day and it barely needed any at all and it has been a good two months since I have added any. When I was using the heater, it was getting to where it was taking the better part of a gallon every week. Each day I would start it, it would dump some out on the ground. That stopped when I stopped using the heater.

cdaler

Reaction score
222K just got new tires 285/70R 17 Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus, Supreme Suspension key and block kit, and Parts WH 20 piece front end kit. Had to do new tie rods and upper ball joints before replacing tires anyway shop wanted $1300 for front end work and $1000 for tires. Got the kit on amazon, suspension and tires on ebay for $1100, then mount and balance + 5 yrs alignment was 200. So hope to get another 100K easily, my Dad's is at 350K and its a year older...

20180720_152059.jpg