High tranny temps. Cost to install HD coolers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bret191

Reaction score
Go to Ford and have them look up the Trailer package cooling system and buy the parts, then everything will bolt right on and you'll be good.

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the cost with the illustration.
@bsevans5 thank you for answering my original question.

I did make a big mess when I installed the cooler on the Odyssey. Fluid on me, various places in the engine bay and the street. Messy but the temperature gauge didn't budge at low speeds in Arizona at 6,000 plus elevation. I want to get to that point with the Expedition.

BDB_Rob

Reaction score
Own a 2015 Expedition Eco Boost with a tow package. Tow an enclosed Trailex Trailer with a 3000lb car, 12 wheels and misc for about 5200-5500lbs. Up hills I will see 220, and have seen a spike to 235. On flats in the summer towing I'm seeing 215 all day and 207 is a very common highway temp when I'm not towing. I have a factory cooler, why not add a larger pan, which are readily available and I'm due for a fluid change anyway, which I do annually with Ford Factory Fluid, the dealer performs the service.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Performance-Automatic/732/PA68402/10002/-1

Plenty of room for this pan. Is there any concern with temps to low, say in the winter?

Thanks in advance and this is my first post, so show mercy!!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to look at this site:

http://estimate.myautomatictransmission.com/transmission-fluid-application-guide/

I'm not going to pretend to know everything about tranny fluid(boy, THAT could be taken quite differently on a very different forum<LOL>) but running in the high 230's with a heavy load doesn't sound like something that you will want to do regularly.

As 07 alluded to....I had thought that the HD tow package included both a larger radiator and larger tranny cooler. Anyone know for sure?

jeff

a71b83b5-transfluidtemp.png

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to look at this site:

http://estimate.myautomatictransmission.com/transmission-fluid-application-guide/

I'm not going to pretend to know everything about tranny fluid(boy, THAT could be taken quite differently on a very different forum<LOL>) but running in the high 230's with a heavy load doesn't sound like something that you will want to do regularly.

As 07 alluded to....I had thought that the HD tow package included both a larger radiator and larger tranny cooler. Anyone know for sure?

jeff

View attachment 20797
This is from the 2017 Expedition web page:

The Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package is standard on Expedition Limited, King Ranch® and Platinum, and available on XLT.

Includes:

• Class IV Trailer Hitch receiver
• Wiring harness w/4 & 7 pin connector
• Heavy-duty auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Heavy-duty radiator

• Electronic braking wiring kit
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller