hint of pending elec problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bissbb

Reaction score
04 exped 4.6, 103k miles had since new, been very dependable. Noticed that radio will stay on even with engine shut off, key removed and driver door open. Also shut off when driving - started right back up. This happened yesterday. Very weak start up later after shutting off for 5 -10 min. No issues today and no codes . Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How old is the battery? If it's 5 years or so, then I'd say it's just getting ready to crap out. The radio staying on with the driver's door open is the door latch switch going bad. There's previous posts about that.

-Mike

OP
OP
B

bissbb

Reaction score
Thanks Mike I'll search the posts on the door switch. Battery is 5 maybe 6 yrs old, and had a pretty cold winter here. My main concern is the shut down while driving - could that be a battery issue?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How old is the fuel filter ? Install a new Motorcraft filter. Other than that a common culprit is the fuel pump relay in the fusebox. That requires replacing the fusebox itself. But if you're getting sluggish cranking and a 6 year old battery I'd go ahead and replace the battery before it leaves you stranded. Pick up one of the Group 65 AGM batteries at Sears.

-Mike

Group 65 AGM Diehard from Sears

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those that have the skills the fuse box can be repaired. All you need is a soldering iron, relay socket, relay and stranded wire. I would up the rating to a 30-40 amp relay for the larger contacts.