Hissing sound under dashboard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
Hi. This is for a 03 expy 4.6 this week I started hearing a hissing sound coming from under the dashboard on the driver side. It'll be a quick hissing as soon after I turn the truck on. It'll only happen when I turn the car on after a few hours not being used.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time you hear the hissing step on the brake pedal and see if the sound changes or stops. Could be a leaking brake booster chamber, or failed check valve on the booster where the vacuum hose from the motor attaches.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
I'll try that. Incase it is the booster will I be able to fix it myself? Or I would I aquire a special tool

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No real special tools. Just sockets, wrenches, work light for under dash work visibility, etc .... You would need to unbolt the booster from the firewall, and that's accessed under the dash.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
Next time you hear the hissing step on the brake pedal and see if the sound changes or stops. Could be a leaking brake booster chamber, or failed check valve on the booster where the vacuum hose from the motor attaches.

Tried this method. It kept hissing till I let the brake pedal go.