Hit the Cat scale today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casflynn

Reaction score
Here are my numbers from todays weigh, 17 Expedition, 19 Mini Lite 2508, Hensley Hitch:

Truck Specs, 3550 Steer, 4300 Drive, 7500 GVW, 15200 GCW

Trailer Specs, 5980 GVW, 4464 Dry, 660 Hitch dry

1) Truck Only, 3120 Steer, 3180 Drive, 6300 Gross

2) Truck, Trailer, bars loose, 2580 Steer, 4620 Drive, 7200 GVW, 4000 Trailer, 11200 Combined. Wow did the front get light, rear axle is 320 over.

3) Hensley 1000lb bars jacked all the way, 3080 Steer, 3940 Drive, 7020 GVW, 4180 Trailer, 11200 Combo. Tongue weight calculates to 900 pounds (this included the entire Hensley set up, 2 full 30lb propane, battery and stuff in front storage, Hensley stinger was weighted with the truck, so my best guess is true tongue weight is 700).

** Fender measurements went like this,
Truck 35-1/2 F 34-5/8 R
Combo no bars, 36-1/2, 32-3/8
Combo with bars, 35-1/2, 33-1/2

Impressions: Under all weights for the truck, but close on rear axle by 360lbs. Front fender come back to same, but Ford wants a 50% return????, and the weight almost all returns sans 40lbs. Should I back off the jacks? Trailer looks level, still some sag from rear of truck at 1-1/8". Tongue weight % is almost 18%. Would going to a straight stinger as oppose to a 2" drop maybe lighten the load, but then I think the trailer would be slightly nose up? I also still haven't packed all the kids crap in the back bunks.

Took out on I-80 today in PA to get to the scale, seemed to tow fine, was running 65 getting passed by dump trucks and semis, no sway, not a lot of porpoise at all, little squirm from the P rated tires and independent rear. But all in all a good tow.

Any Feedback would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Trailer Calc Oct18.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 9

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you should keep it the way you have it set up. You could try backing off the equalizer bars one link but I would bet it gets more squirrely especially in crosswinds.

It's weird how there are so many different guidelines for measuring the fenders - I had trouble getting it anywhere near what they wanted for the front fender.

Keep the trailer level - that always seems to work the best. And some rear sag in the truck is inevitable without air suspension.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What @Meeker said, keep the trailer as level as possible, and be happy.

Trailer tongue too high, slight chance of disengagement or loss of control possible under hard braking.

Trailer tongue too low loss of control from lack of weight on steer axle of tow vehicle, plus if trailer is tandem or triple + axles front axle will eat bearings much sooner, as well as potential tire failures on the front axle, when towing a significant distance at highway speeds.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was that with the kids and everything in the truck (including fuel) or without? Overall, the trailer's level, the tongue weight is >12%, you're not over on any axle, you're well under GVWR and GCWR, and it tows without problems, therefore you've got it well set up. Double check it once you get everything loaded, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

OP
OP
C

Casflynn

Reaction score
No wife and kids in the truck, but I had four 45lb weightlifting plates in the garage, so I put 2 on the front seat and strapped 1 in each of the car seats, 3/4 tank, so truck will probably get another 50 or 100lbs heavier real world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk